Chapter 4-Ride to School

I sat waiting for the mailman for ten minutes or so and then all of a sudden I could hear his whistling coming down the block.  I could see his figure through the snow and jumped up off the step.

“Good Morning Halle!” Mr. Nester’s cheerful voice rang out.  He was a fat, balding man with chubby cheeks and a bursting smile.  He held our mail in hand and placed them carefully into mine.  “Chilly isn’t it?” he remarked generically. “You know, Xavier wrote twice this week!”

My eyes lit up but I was also worried.  He had written me once every two weeks, reliably for the last five and a half years.  Why change now?  Was something wrong?

“Thanks Mr. Nester!” I shot him an equally cheery smile. “Well I better get to school Mr. Nester!  Have a nice day!”

“You too Halle dear!” he skipped off down the block, sorting the next house’s mail from his mailbag. 

I turned the opposite way as Mr. Nester, my letters in hand, the rest laying on the front step.  My school was maybe sixteen or seventeen blocks away but there was no real rush because I always woke up and left extra early.

I ripped open the first letter, reading carefully, making sure I didn’t run into anything.

Halle,

                How are you?  I’m good and so are all the boys.  We have been pretty busy lately but I made sure to make time to write you a letter.  I hope everything is going well at home, with dad and all… I promise I will come visit soon.  I promise.  I love you so much Halle.

-Xavier

It was the usual generic stuff he wrote in a letter.  Most of the letters went along these lines unless something really exciting happened up at the rigs, or if I had asked him something specific in my last letter.

I tucked the letter into my bag, it was getting damp because of the snow, and then I tore open the other letter with my teeth.

Halle,

                I know I don’t usually write you two letters but I was thinking.  What do you look like now?  I know it is incredibly sad that I, your own brother don’t know what you look like.  Please send me a picture.  Please.  And Halle, I will come visit.  I’m not just saying this for no reason, just to make you feel better, I will.  I haven’t seen you since you were like 10.  And Halle… why don’t you ever give me details?  You always talk about school and how good it all is but I know that can’t be true.  I hope dad isn’t hurting you.  If he is I won’t be able to forgive myself.

I love you so much Halle.  Please write me.  Tell me everything.

Xavier.

I could feel my heart drop in my chest.  He wanted to know and he knew something was going on but how could I tell him?  He is a boy and my brother and I couldn’t tell him what was happening, it would be mortifying.  In the envelope was a wad of cash.  Every month or so he sent me a couple hundred bucks, telling me it was for clothes or whatever dad wouldn’t buy me.

Suddenly two sharp honks snapped me out of my saddened state.  To my right, in an older Bentley, was Mr. Connelly.            

“Halle!” he called through the cracked open window. “Want a ride?”

“No thanks Mr. Connelly.” I replied instinctively. “I’m fine.” I shoved my letter and cash in my bag and then started to walk again.

Mr. Connelly drove slowly beside me. “Come on Halle schools at least seven blocks away and you’ll be late!” I glanced down at my watch, he was right!  I had dawdled reading the letter and now I was going to be late. “And Halle you must be freezing!” I looked down and realised I wasn’t wearing my jacket, I must have forgotten it at home, my arms were covered in thousands of goose bumps.  I shivered.

Suddenly cars behind him started to honk, trying to get him to keep going.  I looked from the other cars to Mr. Connelly who was watching me.

“Fine.” I huffed, then walked around to the other side of his car.  I got in reluctantly but when I did I was thankful for the warmth of the car.          

Mr. Connelly drove on, looking over at me every ten seconds or so.

“So Halle do you walk to school every day?  Even in this weather?” he finally broke the awkward silence.

“Yeah I do.” I nodded, looking straight forward, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

“Can’t your mom or dad drive you?  Its freezing outside!  Didn’t they tell you to wear a jacket?” he was prodding.

“Nope.” I stuck to a one-word answer for both, knowing that longer answers would lead to more questions.

“Most kids these days have their own cars.” Mr. Connelly continued trying to make conversation, but was failing miserably in my perspective.

“Yup.  They do.” I replied, finally glancing over at him.  I had to admit he was pretty hot.  He made my stomach do flips and my heart jitter.  He looked like a movie star with his perfect body (which I had seen plenty of in gym class) and his intense brown eyes.  He had well groomed brown hair and a beautiful smile.  Even though he was nice to look at I was starting to regret getting into the car.  I began to search through my bag, looking for my English assignment. “Uhh… here’s my quickwrite.” I placed it on the dashboard. “Sorry its late.”

“Thanks.” He flashed me one of his smiles that half of the school drooled over.

Suddenly it dawned on me.  I hadn’t taken my pills this morning!  I reached to the bottom of my bag and grabbed my ‘just-in’case’ stash and grabbed my water.  I placed the pills in the palm of my hand and unscrewed the water bottle cap.

“What are those for?” Mr. Connelly looked over at me suspiciously, his totally gorgeous eyes staring me down.

I froze.  I had purposely made it so no one at my school knew.  But I couldn’t lie to him?  He would think I’m a druggie!

“Well uhh…” I tried to think of anything else but the truth seemed best. “Promise not to tell anyone?” He nodded. “Like no one.  No one at school or any of your friends or girlfriend or anyone?” he nodded again. “I’m epileptic.  So I have seizures and stuff.” I popped my pills in my mouth and swallowed them with a sip of water.

“Ohh…” he raised his eyebrows as he thought it over.

“But don’t tell anyone.  No teachers, no students, nobody.” I reminded him again.   

“Wait…” he stopped me, “The school doesn’t know?  It’s not in their file?”

I shook my head.

“But that’s dangerous!  You could be having a seizure and they wouldn’t know what to do and you could die!” his persona suddenly changed from hot guy giving me a ride to angry teacher. His voice became louder and more aggressive.

“It’s fine Mr. C I promise.” I emphasised the word promise, hoping it would make him listen. “I know if the teachers found out they would treat me differently, especially in gym.” I glared at him. “I don’t want that so just leave it, okay?”

He opened his mouth to object and then closed it, then opened his mouth again and shut it quickly.  He seemed to be thinking it over but wasn’t exactly sure how to respond.  “I wont say anything… but..” he looked at me seriously, narrowing his eyes.  I could see the school in view and wished he’d drive faster. “I’m going to put a note in your student file saying if anything medically happens to you, to come find me.  And, you have to fill me in on this whole epilepsy thing.  Deal?”

I opened my mouth to object and say that he was overreacting but I nodded in agreement, knowing the alternative was all the teachers knowing.  We slowed to a stop outside the school and I hopped out before he even had the chance to take the keys out of the ignition.

“Thanks for the ride Mr. C.  Seeya in gym.” Then before he could respond I slammed the door and ran towards the school.