Chapter 6

*Alexander’s POV*

                The end of the day finally arrived, so I packed some things I needed to mark and my planning book into my laptop bag.  I sighed and collapsed into my chair.  Today had definitely been more stressful then I had thought it would be.

                I thought I was being nice driving Halle to school, I didn’t know I would end up being her secret keeper.  I thought my gym class was going to be fun!  It was swimming, which was always supposed to be fun.  I didn’t expect Halle to come out with a giant, violent-looking bruise covering her back, causing me to worry about her safety.  I thought marking her quick write was going to be just like marking anyone else’s, a generic paragraph written on how annoying but loving her family was ; but no.  It just caused more concern.

                I groaned and sank into my chair, resting my elbows on my knees and cradling my face in my hands.  But maybe… maybe I was just overreacting.  My mom had always said that I was a worrywart, that I had to much stress for my age.  Maybe I was just blowing things out of proportion and all of these events today had been unrelated and just an unfortunate accident. 

                I ran my fingers through my hair and grabbed my bag.  There was no use worrying, I convinced myself, not until there was any solid proof. 

                I locked my classroom door and walked through the abandoned hallway.  The dim lighting along with the unusual emptiness was almost eerie.  I stood at the doors for a moment, watching the snowflakes come fluttering down, before stepping out into the bitter cold.  My breath became suspended in the air when I breathed.  I slung my bag over my shoulder then shoved my hands deep into my pockets.

                The ride home was long and chilly; of course my cars heater would be on the fritz the one day it was cold. 

                The next two days passed quickly.  Halle seemed to be her regular self, laughing and joking with her friends, barely paying attention in my classes, but obviously studying and doing her work, as she was getting A’s on all her assignments. 

                My previous worry soon became forgotten, I was too caught up in all my school work, my friends, and my newly acquired girlfriend.   

*Halle’s POV*

                I walked home through the snow, the ice cold air nipping at my face.  I didn’t stop at the cemetery today, her gravestone would be covered in snow and it was simply to cold, the snow to wet.  The snow melted and made its way into my shoes, making them squish every time I took a step.

                I put my ear buds in and thanked god for my brother; without him I wouldn’t have the luxury of an iPod.  I walked quickly, not lingering or dawdling, I walked with purpose, mouthing the words to my favourite Aerosmith songs along the way. 

                By the time I got home the Harvard sweatshirt I was wearing was covered in snow and my fingers were beginning to turn a light shade of purple.  I shoved the sticky door open and was greeted by a wave of cool air. 

                My house had never been warm; my dad too cheap to pay more than the minimum for heating, but it was warmer than the outside.  I could hear the T.V blaring from the den; I used to wonder how we could afford television let alone our house, I had never seen my dad work a day in his life.  But deep down I knew.  I knew it all came from my mom’s life insurance money, I knew he didn’t care about the state of our house, as long as he had money for T.V, drugs and booze.

                   I peeked into the living room, but no one was there.  Confused I turned to look around, he never left his chair unless I wasn’t home and he needed booze, or unless he needed to go to the bathroom.  I wandered down the hall and peeked into the only bathroom, it was empty.

                Had he left?  Had he been killed?  Dozens of thoughts went through my mind.

                Suddenly I felt a hand snake its way around my waist, and another clamping over my mouth.  I tried to scream and fight, but it was no use.  He was bigger and stronger.

                “I’ve been waiting…” he hissed into my ear, his breath hot.

                He nipped at my ear, and licked the side of my neck.  I stopped screaming and went limp into his arms, my screams turned to tears.  I knew tonight was going to be a long night.

                After he finished, he left, shoving me down onto the bed.  I listened to his drunken footsteps making their way down the hall and when they disappeared, I cried. 

At first, the tears came slowly, going one by one down my face.  But soon it seemed to be an everlasting stream of salty water pouring out of my eyes.  I sobbed, rocking back and forth, burying my face in my hands.  I sobbed, my chest heaving, my breaths coming out like short, shallow hiccups.  I pulled my t-shirt down, trying to cover my scratched and defiled body.  I wrapped my arms around my knees, pulling myself into a self-hug.  I hoped, I prayed, I wished that the pain would go away but it didn’t.

Eventually I became silent.  The tears stopped, my eyes were glazed over, and my cheeks were streaked red.  The last tear formed in the corner of my eye, suspended for a moment then dropping and landing on my damp cheek.

I could feel the pain shifting inside of me, making room for rage, for my feelings of exasperation.  I ran to my closet, a scream of rage caught in my throat, and began to shove clothes into my suitcase.  I had never gone anywhere, and often wondered why I had a suitcase, but now wasn’t the time.  I grabbed as much as I could, collecting all my possessions and shoving them into suitcase and backpack. 

I peeked into the hallway, it was mostly silent, but I could hear my father’s obnoxious snoring coming from down the hall.  I dragged my bags out, grabbing money from all the hiding places I could find.

As I walked outside in the frosty wind, I had a sudden realisation.

Where was I going?  I had no home, no friends I would ever tell this too, no family.  But then again… I did.

I continued walking, dragging my suitcase through the snow.  When I arrived, I went throught the all too familiar iron gate and walked up the path as I had done so many times before.

“Hi Mommy.” I sighed, then sank onto the ground, into the cold, damp snow.

I was home.              

I apologize.  I don’t think this chapter is all that good but let me know what you think.  Let me know if you like the story and what you think will happen.  Just tell me anything!  Thanks.  You all know the drill.  Comment, vote, fan… whatever.  I won’t be one of those people that say I won’t update till I have enough votes or reads or comments.  I would like all those things but I won’t try and force you to do anything.  Thanks again.  Toodaloo for now.