7

Malik

A Year Ago

I remembered attempting to kiss Jackie last year. It was the time that she had to take a leave for two weeks to assist her older brother for his whirlwind marriage. She was reluctant to leave Gustoso, and I knew she didn't want to leave me then, as well. Katwiran niya, baka daw pagbalik niya ay malaman niya na may herpes na daw ako.

I laughed at her for her frankness, but I also wanted to assure her that it would never happen because I was always safe. Mahirap na, baka makabuntis ako. Ayoko ng ganoong klase ng commitment. At least, not now, especially that I only wanted to have a family with Jackie. But even with her, I was still afraid of having children because I wasn't sure I know how to be as good as my relatives and friends.

Moreover, she need not have to fret that I might have sexually transmitted disease during that two-week period because I opted to join her in Cebu. I told her na mahirap na at baka may mga lalakeng walang magawa sa buhay ang umaligid-aligid sa kaniya doon. As expected, she retorted, "katulad mo". Naturally, I got hurt with what she said. Even without me telling her, she knew that if I was quiet, nagtatampo ako o may mabigat na dinadala. Kaya naman si Jackie, panay ang lambing at asikaso sa akin. Hindi ko naman siya matiis kaya I 'lambing' back. Hehe!

Totoo yung sinasabi nilang pag ang dalawang tao ay matagal nang magkasama, nagiging pamilyar na kayo sa ugali ng isa't isa. At alam kong nagwo-worry pa din si Jackie na umalis dahil sa Gustoso. In order for Jackie to be appeased and not to worry, I convinced her to allow our restaurant management team to run Gustoso for two weeks. It was a good thing that Jackie trained our Senior Chef Prince and I trained Ayer as the manager of Gustoso. I assured her that we could run Gustoso even if we are in a remote location via CCTV, and give instruction if needed.

During that time, too, it was the first time we had a slight discussion about managing Gustoso. Nainsulto kasi si Jackie nang biruin ko siya na ako ang boss ng Gustoso at reporting siya sa akin.

I was just teasing her then. I just liked seeing her annoyed because I found her adorable especially when she's bearing her soul. I was only able to appease her back then when I told her who the real owner was of Gustoso.

"Baby natin ang Gustoso. At kapag umabot sa panahon na kailangan natin paghatian ang Gustoso, I won't even take any share from it. It's all yours." I sincerely said.

Hindi siya makapaniwala noon sa sinabi ko.

"Though we didn't even sign any agreement at kahit 50-50 profit ang usapan natin dito, hindi ko kukunin ang Gustoso sa'yo. Iyo ito, meu amor."

She glared at me. "I have no intention to get Gustoso from you, too. You have a right to this as much as I have." Sagot naman niya sa akin. " Kahit ibigay mo sa akin ng buo ang Gustoso, kalahati lang ang kukunin ko. Hindi ako ganid o gahaman." Irap niya sa akin.

I felt touched that she said that to me. And I have my full trust on her that she was not greedy. In fact, I know that she was loyal to Gustoso and me as her business partner. Kilalang-kilala ko na si Jackie. At alam ko din na sa oras na iyon na inis pa din siya sa akin.

"Alam mo, kahit galit na galit ka, nagagandahan pa rin ako sa'yo. Actually, mas lalo kang gumaganda."

I meant every word I said, and concealed my feelings under the pretense of a bestfriend teasing her.

"Hindi ko tuloy makuhang mainis sa'yo kapag nagpapaka-beeyotch ka." Prangka kong sabi sa kaniya dahil gusto ko panoorin ang pabalang niyang pagsagot sa akin.

"Thank you! At ikaw naman ay asshole." Sagot niya na may nakakabighaning ngiti. Sa sobrang bighani ko nga, I opted to flirt with her.

"Ikaw din may hole. Pa-kalabit nga!" I teased her. "This is to make our agreement final that you're my Beshy beeyotch and I'm your Beshy Asshole."