Chapter Six

Aaron stared at his phone, blankly. He was in Calculus, ignoring the teacher and all the people staring at him. He didn’t have any new messages, though so staring at his phone was pointless.

Suddenly, the phone buzzed in his hand under the desk and some of the kids around him snickered. He slid the phone closer to him to check the message and then smiled, slightly.

He texted a quick message back and then shoved the phone into his pocket. He looked up right as the teacher said, “Isn’t that right, Aaron?”

Aaron rolled his eyes, glanced at the board and then said, “You tell me, you’re the teacher not me.”

The teacher narrowed his eyes. “Empty your pockets, son.”

Aaron shook his head. “My locker is school property, not my jeans. And I don’t roll that way. I’m pretty sure cross-breeding is a sin and impossible.”

The classroom was filled with snickering and chortling. The teacher’s face grew red and opened and closed. Aaron stood up right as the bell rang. He threw his backpack over his shoulder, pulled out his phone and left the classroom ahead of everyone else.

He opened his Messages app and read through the messages in the Anastasia folder.

Message Received

From: Unknown (555-555)

Hey its Anastasia, lol.

Message Sent

From: Yourself

To: Anastasia

K. n Calc. text you aftr.

Message Received

From: Anastasia

K. didnt kno ur still n school. Thot u were n college

He typed off a quick reply as he entered his last class of the day: English. He’d already had Biology earlier and both Mr. Heywood and Holly had been there. They’d talked only briefly before the class had filled with other students.

Message Sent

From: Yourself

To: Anastasia

No. Senior. Got finals still.

He received a quick reply.

Message Received

From: Anastasia

Kewl. Im a collge frshman

The bell rang as he started to type another reply so he shoved the phone into his pocket and walked over to his seat. He strode to the back of the classroom and plopped into his normal seat. He turned his attention to the teacher who had started informing the class of what the day’s agenda was.

He tuned her out since the day’s agenda was already written on the white board. He pulled out his Finals revision sheet and began filling out the things he remembered.

“Basically, I’d like for you to fill out the revision sheet. Finals is coming up in two weeks and then my seniors are free to go. So, just try and do your best on this revision sheet and the finals. You can move your desks to sit with a friend and talk quietly and work together. But, you must be working. I’ll put on some music. Please, get to work.”

The sounds of desks scratching the floor up as they were scooted and slid filled the classroom. Aaron didn’t move and didn’t look up as he continued filling out the revision sheet.

Finally, when the scooting had quieted down and there was just silent chatter and pencils chattering, he looked up. What he was not surprising, but very sad.