Chapter Five

AUTHORS NOTE: I really hope everyone is enjoying reading as much as I'm enjoying writing. The contest is still going on although there are no insiders in this chapter. If we can't get anyone to comment or PM the insiders, they can participate in the cover contest. More info on the two contests will be in the next chapter, it'll be less like a chapter and more like a contest chapter.

===============

“Where are we going?” asked Aaron, biting his lip, trying to calm his beating heart.

“Secret.”

Johnson winked and then smiled as he turned up the music. Johnson drove and danced in his chair. He looked like a kid. This realization brought Aaron back to the first time he’d met Johnson. He’d thought Johnson was a teenager, like him.

“How old are you?” asked Aaron, suddenly. Well, it was sudden for Johnson because he didn’t know Aaron’s thoughts.

Johnson looked over at him and shrugged. “I doubt you’d believe me”, he admitted.

Aaron raised a brow as if to say “Try me.”

“I’m 26.”

Aaron snorted in laughter. He was almost positive that at least eight years of school were required to be a doctor.

“Stop laughing. I’m serious”, whined Johnson although a smile was gracing his delicately beautiful face.

“Impossible”, Aaron said, shaking his head. “If you’re like thirty, it won’t matter. I’ll still like you so tell the truth.”

Johnson looked at him, shocked. He turned the music off and then turned to Aaron. A smirk then snuck across his face. “You like me?”

Aaron’s face reddened as he realized what he’d said. “Shut up”, he mumbled, looking out the window.

Johnson debated whether to continue to tease the boy or to change the subject. He grinned.

“My parents are professors of English and Math. My sister’s a world-renowned interior decorator and my older brother runs one of the largest electronic companies in the world. I am supposed to be the failure. Every family has one, right? So, its got to be me, right?”

Aaron snuck a glance at Johnson who was nodding his head to an unheard tune. He was blinking furiously and his eyes were glistening with what looked suspiciously like tears.

He tapped his finger on the steering wheel as they sat at the red light. He finally continued his story.

“Well, since it was expected of me, my parents made sure to put a lot of money stowed away for me, because well, I’d need it since I’d be a bum. They placed me in public school and I was pretty much ignored by them. I was raised by my nanny. They didn’t want to get their hopes up since I’d obviously be the stupid child.”

The bitterness in his voice was clear as well as the disgust. He continued even still with the story.

“But, I proved them wrong. There’s a program where you can leave high school in tenth grade and go straight to college. I was already a year ahead of my peers so of course I did it. My parents didn’t even care. They didn’t even come to my going-away party.

“But, now I’m a doctor almost four years earlier than any other guy my age would be. I’m good at it, too. I landed a two year contract with the hospital and was immediately given a floor to run after a year. My contract runs out in three months. I’m not quite sure what I’ll do after that. But, all I know is, I’m fine without my parents. So, they can keep their stupid trust fund. I don’t need it.”