Chapter 51 - Decision Time..

Recap:

"Yes this is the Ahmad residence," I said wanting her to get to her point.

"I'm Adrien's mom."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Oh, come on in,"  I said, "I'm Maydah."

Dad came downstairs as I led her into the living room. It's a good thing Dad always left it clean in case of unexpected visitors.

"Dad this is-"

"Mrs Ketsopolis, Adrien's mother," She introduced herself.

"Nice to meet you," Dad said.

"I actually came her to personally thank Maydah for saving my son's life." Mrs Ketsopolis said looking gratefully at me.

"Actually, it was my friend Azalea who did the saving, if she hadn't applied pressure to the wound... He wouldn't have been so lucky."  I said modestly.

"Yes I am cognizant, Officer Chang told me everything."

"Oh," I said awkwardly.

"But the reason I cam over here was to ask you a favour... I know after all you have done, asking a favour would seem extremely selfish of my but it's a very small one," she said.

"What is the favour?" Dad asked already getting into his desicion making mode.

"Officer Change has already taken a prime suspect into custody, but in order to file a case we need a prime witness.And since Maydah personally fought the gang members, she would make a better witness than her friend Azalea." Mrs Ketsopolis explained, "I would have my son do it but he is ver far from recovery at the momentand wouldn't be able to make it on the court date."

"But all the people were masked, how will I be of any help if I didn't see their faces?" I lied, my heart rate speeding up from stress. I didn't know why, but there was a part of me that didn't want to see Zeke go to jail or bootcamp or whatever, not because we were friends or anything, but because he had already been through so much. I just couldn't explain myself.

"All you'll have to do is answer a few questions that my lawyer will ask you. It's honestly nothing time consuming or stressful." She assured.

My dad opened his mouth to say something but I spoke faster.

"I'm not sure," I said hesitantly.

"Think about it please? The court date is a week from now," Mrs Ketsopolis implored.

I nodded as Dad led her out and closed the door gently.

"Maydah? Why would you not agree? She was literally begging you," Dad inclined.

"I'm staying out of trouble like you told me," I shrugged.

"Slow down kid," Dad laughed before I could escape to my room, "This ain't trouble.. And I admitted your a trouble magnet remember?"

"Oh yeah," I said vaguely.

"What's the matter?" Dad asked soflty, "Are you afraind of the large audiance going to be present, because it really isn't like that in realy life,"

I couldn't lie any more, at least not to my dad.. Truth time. Would he be absolutely disappointed? Oh well, only one way to find out. I took a deep breath.

"Dad," I began.

"Yes Maydah?" Dad saw the seriousness of my tone and began to listen attentively.

"I lied, I saw one of them without their mask, I saw their face,"

"Why didn't you say so? Is it because it faded from you memory to fast?" Dad asked trying to make an excuse for me.

I shook my head ashamed.

"Who was under the mask?" Dad asked curiously.

"Zeke Daniels,"

Oh God Maydah," Dad breathed. "You'd better have a good reason for not turning him in.."

"Dad, he's been through so much already.."

"You saw what he did to that boy, you don't think he deserves what's coming? And exactly what type of friendship do you have that you're willing to compromise the law for him?"

"Well, he didn't touch the boy, it was just the rest of the group."

"And if he can stand by and be part of it than he is just as guilty as the rest.. What is he, Maydah, to you? Do you have feelings for this boy? Because you know-"

"No!" I exclaimed, shocked that Dad was asking this.

"Dad you always told me to give some one 50 benifets of the doubt before passing a judgement, that's what I'm doing."

"Give me one doubt," Dad queried.

"He said he had a reason,"

"No reason is good enough to do such a thing to any sort of person,"

I sighed in defeat, Dad was right.

"I guess I should turn him in right?" I said.

"Do what you think is correct." Dad said, "But be truthful, even if it makes your voice shake, say the truth."

I went up to my room, changed into my pyjamas and sunk into the comfort of my bed. How many time had I tried to go back to leading a normal life and how many times had I failed? I knew what I had to do now, and every muscle in my body was screaming against me but my heart knew it was the right thing to do. I must speak the truth, and my voice will definetely tremble. But I must..

I picked up the phone.

""Mrs Ketsopolis? Yes, this is Maydah... Yeah I thought about it,  and I will be in court next week as your prime witness... Ok Thank you.. Goodnight."

~~*~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~~*~*~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~~*~*~~*~~*~