Mockingjay: Peeta safe, Katniss captured

Rewrite - 4th May 2015 | The Hovercraft over District 12

The sun was setting in the sky, the rays of bright orange colours shone down against the ground. Another day went, another day where I won't get to see the love of my life - Katniss Everdeen. Another day went as I waved goodbye to ever being happy again; my family was dead and Katniss was probably being tortured because of me this very moment. I'm officially all alone.

The only person left from District 12 I really know was Delly Cartwright. There was Primrose and Mrs Everdeen as well but I don't really know them; they were Katniss's family and even though my family are dead, I'm glad the both of them survived the wrath of President Snow.

We were about to land on the floor of my home district; the grave of the thousands of people I used to see day after day before I had been put up for the 75th Hunger Games with Katniss. Part of me wished I had never been chosen for the games but the biggest part of me knew that if I hadn't been chosen, I wouldn't have gotten my chance with Katniss. The chance to show her who I really am; and get her to notice me properly.

The Capitol had destroyed everything; my home, my family and any innocence both Katniss and I had before the games. It should have been me; Katniss should have been the one to be saved by district 13, not me - she's the spark of the rebellion, I'm just a mere bystander wanting everything to be at peace. Katniss was the strongest person I could ever imagine someone to be, for everything that she's done and everything she's destined to do in the future - I just want her back in my arms and forget the whole world exists.

As the hovercraft reached the ground, a thump sounded. I stepped up to the exit door and took a deep breath, preparing myself for what I was about to see and experience. The door opened, immediately filling my senses with the stench of blood and ash. I stopped myself from gagging at the sight, the picture was sickening - it was revolting to know that the Capitol could do such damage and be perfectly fine about it. I force my legs to continue on, following a path that would surely break me - something that would confirm the one statement Gale had told me. That my family was indeed dead, not just hiding in the forest still, trying to make a survival until a rescue would come for them.

It wasn't long before I came across the old bakery. Burnt pieces of wood and several bodies were scattered around it - I choked, my arm coming up to my mouth to cover it as my breathing went in and out faster - salty tears poured out the side of my eyes. The bodies of my mother, father and older brothers were apparent - each body had something to identify them with, everything felt so real but I so wanted it to be a horrible dream or a hallucination made by tracker jacker venom.

It was so quiet as I passed the usual places either Katniss or I went to. Every building in town was burnt to a crisp, there were no buildings left standing that were still as original as it was 6 months ago.

Victor's Village. It still looked as expensive and magnificent as it did before everything burnt down - everything was still the same, like nothing had ever happened. Snow left it alone on purpose; showing everyone a lesson about what happens to someone who disobeys him. The Victor's Village only held three occupied houses and the others were just imply empty. Only Katniss, Haymitch and I were the only winners of the Hunger Games from District 12.

A daunting feeling lifted inside me when I stood outside my own Victor's house - I needed to get some of my things, everything I owned was moved in here while my family stayed where they were in the old bakery - not wanting to live in something built by the Capitol. I quickly went in and grabbed all the belongings I couldn't live without, just in case something did happen to these places.

Now, I stood outside Katniss's Victor house. I kept imagining her opening the door before I even got there, flinging it open widely before wrapping her arms around me - telling me that she had gotten away from Snow, finding a way to fool him into letting her go. But that never happened. I missed her so much; how even the smallest of smiles could brighten up my day, the way her hair was tied into her signature side braid, her scent that hits me every time I see her. I longed to hold her in my arms, hug her tight and tell her everything will be okay - that we'll have our whole lives ahead of us with nothing to worry about.

I enter her house, tensing when her scent fills my senses - a tear leaks down the side of my cheek. I hurriedly swallowed them back down; I had to be strong for her. My eyes caught the hunters jacket she wore every time I saw her when she went out; it was her fathers, something that reminded her of him whenever she did the things the two would do together before he died. I picked it up, clutching it to my chest protectively - knowing that when we got Katniss back, she'll want it safe.

The radio attached to my hip came to life, a voice calling through. One that I hated to hear right now, especially lately. "Peeta." Haymitch's voice called through the speaker, "We need to leave in 10 minutes, you'll need to hurry up." I narrowed my eyes, I didn't care for his advice or orders right now. He's the reason Katniss was where she was; he's the fault for her being captured and me being safe. He deceived the both of us and I don't think I can just let that go so lightly; I won't. A part of me did feel guilty for treating him like I am; the man had been like a father to both Katniss and I. I knew he saw Katniss like the daughter he could never have, something that the Capitol took away from him a long time ago. Even though I hate him right now; I couldn't let him go either, I couldn't lose anyone else - it would probably brake me in two like a twig.

Just as I turn to the front door, knowing it would be best to leave now anyway - I hear a croaky 'meow' to the side, coming from upstairs. I twisted and quickly padded up the stairs, following the small animal noises to a medium sized room at the end of the hall. Prim's room.

I poke my head through the door, my eyes widen as I caught sight of a familiar feline - Buttercup. He looked scruffier than usual, his hair, matted but looked well fed. "Buttercup?" The cat hissed, his nails stretching out from his paws in defense. "Do you want to see Prim?" I couldn't leave the poor thing here alone; knowing that Prim was dying to see him. I could kind of see why Katniss hated the cat so much but I thought he was okay overall.

Another 'meow' left the cat's mouth, it was higher and it sounded to me, a lot happier than the original noise. Probably from the name 'Prim', the cat knows he's going home to his master. Buttercup jumped off the bed where he laid, pouncing into my arms unexpectedly. I held him into a tight grip, not letting him fall from my grasp. I gave off a sigh, knowing it was time to go back to District 13.

Not even a minute after I arrived back at the hovercraft, we took off - speeding back in the direction of District 13.

No, I will not be continuing this story but I just felt it right to update how it was written. This story was the second thing I actually made and I have to say, the writing was bloody terrible.

Not sure when the other edits will be up, this is just the first.