Chapter 6: Rainy Day

The next day, I woke up to my cell phone ringing. I groaned loudly as I reached over for it on the nightstand, only managing to knock it off instead. I groaned out some well worded profanities as I reached down for it and answered it without looking to see who it was beforehand.

"Hello."

"Hi, Abbie. I didn't wake you did I?"

It was Daniel.

"Hi, Daniel," I said after I cleared my throat. I sat up then leaned back onto the headboard of my bed as I wiped the sleep from my eyes with my free hand. "No, you didn't wake me. How are you?"

"I'm good," he said. "I don't have anything to do today so I was wondering if you would like to hang out. If you don't have other plans of course and if you're not sporting a good hangover this morning."

I could hear the amusement in his voice as I raised my eyebrows in curiosity. I thought about it for a few moments, but it didn't take me long to decide.

"Sure...yeah, that sounds like fun."

"Great," he said and I could detect him grinning on the other end, which made me smile as well. "You can just call me when you're ready and I will pick you up myself."

"Okay," I said as I nodded even though I knew he couldn't see that I was. "I'll see you soon then, Daniel."

"Bye, Abbie."

I hung up my phone and stretched. It was nice that Daniel invited me to spend the day with him. I had had a great time with him the night before so I was looking forward to hanging out with him. We hadn't really hung out by ourselves many times before so it would be different.

As I got out of bed and checked my phone, I noticed that I had a missed call. I looked at it to find that it had been Tom. I sighed to myself. I still felt bad for the night before and I didn't know what I was going to tell him. I could play it off like I was at the party and he just couldn't find me, but I didn't want to lie to him about it. I felt like he would understand if I told him the truth. I pressed the call button as I walked into my kitchen and waited for him to answer.

"Abbie, my friend," I heard him say when he answered. "I thought you had dropped from the face of the earth or something. Where were you last night?"

"Well...we had all left early and went to the club," I said, deciding to just come out with it. "We thought the party was just a bit too crowded. I'm really sorry we didn't stay longer."

"Don't worry about it," he said without hesitation. "Im sure you all had more fun. I didn't think I was ever going to get out of there. All of those people were pretty overwhelming too. I was talking to people that I didn't even know like we were old friends, but Jade was happy about the outcome of the party so I couldn't complain, you know?"

"Yeah, I guess not," I said not knowing what else to say.

"Anyways, I was thinking we could hang out today," he said. "Jade has some wedding stuff she's taking care of that she doesn't need me for. What do you say?"

Any other time, I would tell him he was crazy for asking. He knew I would hang out with him, but I had already made plans with Daniel and I wasn't sorry that I had. I also wasn't going to break those plans either. It would be rude and I just didn't want to.

"I really would, but I already have plans with Daniel today."

"Oh..." he said, trailing off. "Well, I hope you guys have fun."

What was that about? He didn't sound very happy about it. I shrugged it off though. I was probably just imagining things.

"You can join us if you like," I offered. I didn't mind at all if he decided to and I was hoping that Daniel wouldn't either. We were all friends after all.