Chapter 23 : I have been dreaming straight from the heart.

He learned hard way that it was not what he had in his life but who he had that counted. But his pain, mistakes and heartache had turned in strength, learned lessons and pride in himself.

Ethan had come a long way after losing Isabelle.

Warriors were not born, neither were they created. They produced themselves through pain and suffering. 

Isabelle was the woman any mom will welcome home, any father have been proud of and whom any man won't forget.

Ethan forced himself to not cast his eyes in her direction when she nodded and looked at her companion with tender affection. 

Her gaze told everything.

The pit inside Ethan's stomach was growing big every second.

Ethan raised a toast in her direction and saw a flicker of anger in those turbulent eyes. He was having the desired effect.

What destiny had in mind when unknowingly he selected the same venue as Isabelle? Should he go back before Isabelle's spouse noticed him? Or should he hug the opportunity and finish what he intended to do? 

Will it be good to go and meet them? He was unsure how Isabelle's other half will react. 

Ethan came back to reality when Sachiko nudged him and slipped her delicate fingers in his arm.

The touch was gentle yet Ethan burnt.

As they started eating, she giggled.

“I have even learned to order grape juice under the guise of wine? Most clients don't notice that they are paying for the most expensive glass of grape juice.”

Ethan didn't find it funny. He had experienced what booze did to people. Will he be ever able to forget what it did to his mom?

“I won’t want this job where one has to drink liquor daily but you are a smart lady.” Ethan shrugged his shoulders and looked at her without any concern. 

“I came to Tokyo, wanting to explore my culture and intending to work to support my sister. But getting a job was impossible. When it became clear, my friend introduced me to that club. It was easy in the starting. I will stand with rest of girls in the bar. If a customer didn't ask for any specific hostess, we will take turns with the client. And we had to rotate every fifteen minutes. I had to make sure to keep my client's glass full.”

Ethan didn't speak. He just nodded and encouraged her to say more.

“But it got worst with time. Drinking was another thing but I wasn't comfortable groping. I was a fool. Like every other girl, I had thought that someday my prince charming will come on a flying horse and take me away from grief. How I just believed that a good looking man comes to rescue damsels in distress.” The lady laughed with sarcasm. “I kept on waiting but he didn't come.  I guess, at last I grew up. Now I know that he is not that easy to find.”

She bowed her head and surveyed her food with utter calm. Silent tears kissed her smooth, porcelain cheeks. He didn't know that she was crying but the way her body was shuddering now and then compelled him to be suspicious.

He lifted her chin in a swift motion. Tears always frustrated him. He was that boy who had understood its language soon. While washing hair, if shampoo went in little Katherine's eyes, it will water, wetting both of them. When Ethan's mom was sober, she hugged him and cried for hours, with guilt of not loving him. He had seen his father shedding few drops when his little girl's sickness had turned fatal.

What was the point in pretending to not notice her tears when he had an intense relationship with them?

She looked embarrassed when he gave her a tissue.