Chapter 9 ~ Let's Talk Dresses

After Zoë showed me around the penthouse, she showed me to my room, that wan't very furnished, but had the basics, along with my own bathroom, a walk-in closet, and a balcony. Zoë said sometime this week we'll decorate it to my liking.

I just got out of the shower and was staring at my reflection in the mirror. I couldn't exactly place what it was, but I seemed different. I shrugged it off and finished drying myself off. I walked into my room to see Zoë holding up two dresses on hangers.

"Which one? Personally, I think that the red is very flattering on you and really compliments you," she said bringing forth a long red sleeveless form-fitting gown with a halter. "But I also really like this emerald green one, too. It's brings out your personality and makes you the gem of the night." she said matter-of-fact like.

I looked back and forth between the two. While the red one was pretty, I really didn't like to stand out, too much, plus it looked a bit overwhelming. The green one was a rich green one-shoulder with a slit up the side. I absolutely loved it.

"The green, but what are the dresses for?" I asked curiously as I began to brush the tangles out of my hair.

"We have an event to attend to tonight. To the Humans it's the announcement of your return and you preparing yourself for your future as owner of my company. To the Exiles, it's your coming-out event. To show all of them that you are royalty and above them all, meaning that you are untouchable and their future leader." she said as she looked in my closet for who knows what. She groaned.

"What is it?" I asked alarmed.

"You have no clothes and you are definitely not my size and don't have the same taste as me. Hurry up and throw a skirt and a blouse on. Keep your boots and the jacket to go with 'your style'. We're going shopping," she said as she rushed out of my room.

I quickly did as she said and picked out a short-sleeved blue ruffle blouse and a short black pencil skirt that Zoë 'introduced' me to earlier, and threw on the boots and leather jacket that I was quickly growing fond of.

After checking myself the full-length mirror on the back of my door I left to go find Zoë in her colossal penthouse. After 10 minutes of searching I found her in her walk-in closet sitting in front of her vanity putting some weird colored powder on her face. She noticed my mask of confusion reflecting in her mirror and said, "Makeup," as if I was supposed to know what that meant.

She sighed and got this tiny brush and swept it along her eyelashes, making them look more pronounced. She finished it off with swiping some bright red shiny stick across her lips. Then she stood and I noticed her bright red knee-length pencil skirt and plain white tank tucked into it with what she introduced me earlier as a cardigan, which was short-sleeved and black. She had on some very high heels that were so thin I couldn't believe she could stand. Her beautiful blonde hair was in curls and flowed down her back and framed her heart shaped face perfectly.

She did an appraisal of her own on me and nodded then smiled.

"Time to show you what you've been missing out on."