Chapter 8 Part 2

Chapter 8 Part 2

One, two, three- Boing! Boing! Boing!

"Ugh! Tristen would you stop?!" I asked exasperated. The boing-ing stopped.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly. "I'm really bored and in sympathy for the olden day prisoners." I nodded even though he couldn't see.

The cells down here hadn't been used- or cleaned- since the early eighteen hundreds. Our seats were mossy stone benches, built up from moldy stones. Vines curled around the gate that barred us in. Pitch black was wrapped around us and the occasional squeak as a mouse or rat ran by could be heard.

Tristen, being the lucky one, had discovered that he had a bouncy ball in his pocket. Why, neither one of us knew. But fortunately for him, he was in another cell so it would make it very difficult for me to strangle him.

I, being the unlucky one, had taken to counting the mossy stones that lined my cell in a desperate attempt to amuse myself. I had no idea how I was going to get out of this one.

I got up, remembering something that I'd learned from a history unit. Old cells usually had secret exits that led out. Many prisoners had escaped in the olden days due to the passageways. It was all a matter of finding the lever.

I started to press on the stones, trying to ignore the mossy feel under my hands. Something rustled and a scraping noise filled the cells as a brick moved.

"Char!" Tristen's panicked filled voice sailed over to me. "You okay?! What was that?!"

"I'm okay Tristen," I sighed. I still hadn't totally forgiven him for not showing me that note. But it was still sweet that he was worried about me.

"Okay, good." his relieved voice came again. "What was that though?"

I smiled to my self as I looked at the piece of paper that fell out. The dirty, old piece of parchment held directions to the passageway.

"A way out," I replied.

---------------

"No Tristen, four steps to the right. Now back up two. Three to the left. Okay you should be there. Push the third? No, fourth brick from the gate."

A creaking sound could be heard and I froze, hoping that the guards hadn't chosen that moment to check up on us.

"Got it!" Tristen's triumphant whisper carried over to me. I heard him slip through the opening, listened for the "All clear," before saying sayonara to the damp cells and escaping to my freedom.

Once out, Tristen laughed as he smoothed down my hair and rubbed the grime off my face. I frowned playfully up at him, spiking up his already messy hair even more. We sat on the ground, lazily relaxing. I lay with my head on his lap, letting his fingers comb through my unruly hair.

"Hey Char?" he asked suddenly.

"Uh-hum?"

"Why did you- Never mind."

I rolled over so my face was looking at the sky. "What?"

"It's nothing." he said, looking away, suddenly interested in studying the willow tree across from us.

I sat up fully and pulled his chin towards me. "If it was nothing, you wouldn't have started to ask." I said, once he finally looked me in the eye.

He exhaled, letting the air ruffle his hair upwards. "Okay but don't laugh. Why did you - Remember when I told you I loved you?"

I nodded smiling. "We really should kiss like that more often, by the way." he added, winking at my blushing face. "Well, you never said if you loved me at all."

I hesitated, not sure if he would understand my reason. "I didn't mean for it to seem that way. It's just that," I took a deep breath and decided to go for it. "Carlee was rich and powerful, just like my brother. She told him she loved him and he didn't hesitate to respond back with the same words. After two years, she didn't care about him at all and showed it. My brother was heartbroken over it and showed it everywhere he went. I just" Another deep breath. "Don't know if I'm ready to trust someone with my love."

I glanced up to see him looking at me expressionless. I looked away, feeling foolish. You know that whenever you open up to a guy it ends painfully. Remember Patrick? I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping it would get rid of the painful memory of my ex-boyfriend.

Soft lips were suddenly pressed to mine and I kissed back whole-heartedly, loving the feel.

"We should really kiss like this more often." Tristen repeated, murmuring them against my lips. "Just know Charlotte, I would never stop loving you. Ever."

I smiled against his lips. "Me too." I whispered, before kissing him again.

We sat there under the willow tree, letting our lips do the talking. For the first time since I had received the death threat, I felt safe and protected.

Tristen pulled back suddenly and I looked up at him surprised. "We need to get out of sight so we're not arrested again."

I nodded reluctantly, before taking the hand that he offered to me. We started to walk down the path, ready to face whatever lay ahead, together. I was done running scared, I was ready to face the threat and beat the crap at of it. I looked up at Tristen's face and smiled.

I don't think I'll get a chance to beat it with him around...

-------------------------

And there it is!!! Sorry about the wayyyy to long of a wait!! I have finally uploaded! Not edited but plz vote and comment. Means alot. That's all for now. (: