The Runaway Royal- Chapter 5

Curly, blonde hair. Strong, muscled arms. Hard abs. Gorgeous sea blue eyes stared down at me. Perfect, kissable lips twisted into a smirk. And all I could think was, Why were all the guys from my past hot now?!

"Joey?" I asked, disbelieving. He chuckled.

"Princess Char? You haven't changed a bit, unless you count hot and perfect as change." I blushed and looked down, embarrassed.

"Char!" A voice came from behind us. I looked over Joey's shoulder to see Tristen standing there looking worried. He rushed over as Joey dropped me from my bridal style position.

"Are you okay?" he asked, real worry evident in his eyes.

I smiled, surprised and happy that he cared.

"Yes, I'm fine. But since when do you care?"

He blushed and studied the purple floral carpet.

"I don't. I just don't want my bride killing herself before we even get married." Joey stared open mouthed at me.

"You're getting married to him?! But you hate each other! You always have!" Joey protested.

"Sadly, yes I have to. It was my mother's wish." He knit his eyebrows together in confusion.

"But Carlee hates Tristen!" Obviously, they haven't done the press release yet.

"He's been away at college, Char." Tristen explained.

I explained to Joey what had happened in the past few hours.

Joey, Tristen, Katie, and I had been a group of friends. Well, I was friends with Katie and Joey, and Tristen and I had been enemies. Joey and Tristen were cousins, and Joey was the next in line for the dukedom of a Calio providence. Joey had been there through it all and had hated Carlee as much as Tristen, Katie and I had.

I finished telling Joey the recap of the events of the day when about forty palace guards burst in the room.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Your Highnesses," the main guard... Louey?... Lowry?... Ah!... Lewis said. "We did not mean to interrupt," he continued, his eyes downcast. I smiled at him.

"It is alright. I am sorry for the disturbance. I promise you I will not bother you again," Tonight, I added silently, laughing at my formal speech. Carlee would be proud. "Go ahead, and get some rest."

"Thank you, Your Highness." he said bowing stiffly. The other guards followed suit. "Your Majesty." Tristen nodded at them politely, and they filed out of the room.

I turned my attention back to Joey.

"So why are you here? In the middle of the night?" I asked. Joey smiled cockily at me.

"I'm here because Tristen invited me for his wedding, although he failed to mention just who he was marrying. Guess I've got my answer now, don't I?"

"I meant, why are you here in my room in the middle of the night rescuing me."

"Oh, that. Well, I heard a scream, and I figured it was you because who else would be attempting such a stupid scheme at one 'o clock in the morning." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Since you pointed out so subtly that it is one 'o clock in the morning, I think I'll head in." I turned around and started towards my bed, but was stopped by a hand on my arm.

"Uh, where do I sleep?" Joey asked. I yawned and pointed vaguely towards my living room couch.

"Then where do I sleep?" Tristen asked, smirking.

I glared at him and replied, "The floor, you nitwit."

"Awwww! You're coming up with pet names for me already! How sweet!" he cooed. I intensified my glare, which he pointedly ignored. "If we're already that far along the road then you won't mind if we share the bed then?" He asked, making a beeline for the bed. I scowled, jumped on the bed, and pushed him off. He fell off with a satisfying thud! I laughed at his face.

"Hey, I know you two are getting married and all and this is normal, but would you mind keeping it down. Some people are trying to sleep." We turned to see Joey still standing there, smiling amusingly at us. Tristen took advantage of the awkward moment to pull me down on top of him.

"Aw, Joey," Tristen scoffed as I glared at him. Wow, my face was starting to hurt. If I get a permanent scowl on my face, I swear I will kill you, Tristen. "You know how it is with fiancées, always trying to get some." Tristen turned towards me. "You know that Joey's engaged, right?" My eyes widened.

"Joey! I'm so happy for you, but what happened to Mr. I'm-Never-Getting-Married, hmm?" I teased. Joey blushed.

"That kinda changed when I met Lauren. She's perfect, Char." I smiled up at him. His face had transformed into a dreamlike smile.

"I'm so happy for you!" I said, giving him a huge hug, startling him in the process.

"Yeah, yeah. Well, you kids have fun. I know that you think you guys are a terrible match, but Katie and I always thought that you two would end up together and here you are!"

Tristen's mouth hung open at that last statement, and I'm pretty sure I was a mirror image.

"What?!" we yelled. Joey just smiled and walked out the door. It was then I realized that I was still on top of Tristen. I scrambled onto the bed and was so tired that I didn't even protest when I felt the bed sink besides me.

Vote and comment!! :) I love feedback so comment like crazy!!