Chapter 8

I tried not to think about what happened to Ally as Trevor drove to the beach. Noah Jay and Lisa were making out in the backseat of the car. Through the review mirror I could see Jason getting annoyed with my cousin. I’m guessing he was getting annoyed sitting beside her while she and Noah Jay made out. I think I would get annoyed too.

Trevor pulled into the parking lot of the beach. I tried not to panic when I caught sight of the ocean. I tried to ignore my sister’s scream, but it wasn’t easy. I knew I was going to have another panic attack like I did last night. I was just about to say to Trevor that I can’t be here when I felt a hand rested on my right shoulder. It was a gentle touch as to say that everything was going to be alright. I looked down at the hand and smiled knowing it was Jason’s.

I took off my seat belt just as I heard Jason say, “Hey, do you think you can stop making out now? You have been making out ever since we got into the car.”

Lisa pulled away from Noah Jay and faced Lisa. “What’s the matter, Jason? Are you jealous?”

“Jason is always jealous,” Trevor said.

Jason shot his brother a dirty look. “Shut up, Trevor.”

“Make me.”

Jason leaned in his seat and I was sure he was going to whack his brother when Lisa grabbed his arm.

“Would it make you feel any better if I gave you a kiss?” Lisa asked.

A rage of jealously took over me as Lisa said those words. I quickly turned in my seat to look at my cousin. I felt like my heart was being stabbed. What was she thinking? She can’t kiss Jason! He is mine! She has a boyfriend. I waited for Jason to say something, but he didn’t.

I watched as my cousin leaned forward, her mouth inches away from Jason’s. I panicked.

“Lisa, what are you doing?” I blurted out.

Everyone turned to me and I suddenly felt embarrassed for blurting out those words.

“You have a boyfriend, you know?” I reminded her. I just hope no one will think that I’m jealous or something.

“Tori, chill,” my cousin said. “I’m not really going to kiss Jason. I’m just joking around with him. And yes, I know my boyfriend is in the car with me.”

I just looked at Lisa and then climbed out of the car. The wind blew as soon as I got out of the car, blowing my hair about. It was cool and I couldn’t help but wonder how anyone could even think about going in the water. I caught a glimpse of the ocean and immediately saw the images in my head of the shark attacking Ally. I turned around quickly, bumping into Jason as he stood behind me.

“Tori, can I talk to you for a second?” Lisa grabbed my arm and pulled me away from everyone. When we were sure the others were away from earshot, Lisa turned to me saying, “What was that all about?”

“What was what?” I asked, even though I knew exactly what she was talking about.

“Don’t play dumb, Tori. You know exactly what I’m talking about.”

I looked away and turning to our boyfriends. Trevor and Noah Jay were getting our surfboards off the roof of his car. Jason was standing there, not even bothering to help them out. He just stomped his foot on the ground, killing ants I think.

Lisa grabbed my shoulders and made me face her. “Tell me, Tori!” she raised her voice at me.

“I kind of got jealous a little,” I told her.

“Why?” Her jaw then dropped opened when she figured out what was going on. “You have developed feelings for Jason, haven’t you? You have kissed him, haven’t you?”