Chapter 16

Even though I told Lisa I was fine about going to the hospital to see Jason, I started to feel uncomfortable as soon as we walked through the entrance of the hospital. Memories of Ally flooded my mind when she spent her last moment in the hospital. Lisa could see that I wasn’t coping and wanted to take me home, but I refused to go. I wanted to stay, but for some reason I was scared to face Jason.

Lisa stayed with me where we sat in the cafeteria while Jason’s family went to see him. I kept wondering how I was going to react when I see him. I knew I was probably going to breakdown. Maybe I should just avoid seeing him altogether. I mean, it’s bad enough I had mixed feelings about him last night.

“Hey, eat this,” Lisa said as she sat down next to me, handing me a chicken, lettuce and mayo sandwich in a plastic container. She had one herself.

“No thanks, Lisa. I’m not hungry.”

“You should eat something, Tori. You didn’t really eat anything for breakfast.”

I opened the container and bit into the sandwich. I chewed on it slowly but I seriously didn’t feel hungry at all. I put the sandwich back in the container.

“Lisa, why did Jason do this?” I asked her.

Lisa swallowed what she had in her mouth. “I don’t know, Tori. Only he knows why he did it.”

“You know when I saw him lying face down in the water, I really thought that it was going to be Ally all over again.” I tried not to cry, but I could feel the tears building up. “Although Jason wasn’t attack by a shark, it still reminded me of what happened to Ally. I’m really glad we got to Jason in time. I-I really don’t want to know what would happened if we never found him.”

Lisa touched my hand. “Tori, try and not think that okay? Jason is alive and that’s all it matters.”

I knew Lisa was right. I should just be happy that Jason is alive. Everything could have been worse. We could have never found his location. His body could be in the water for hours. A shark could have gotten him. But none of that stuff happened. We got to him in time. We saved him.

Trevor walked into the cafeteria. I quickly leaped from my chair, asking him how Jason was.

“He is fine,” Trevor explained. “He is sober now.”

“Does he remember anything that happened?” Lisa wanted to know.

Trevor shook his head. “No, you know how my brother is. He only remembers asking someone to buy him some alcohol.”

“I bet your mother isn’t too happy that he got himself drunk.”

“No, she isn’t. She didn’t yell at him but I know when he gets out of the hospital he will be grounded. The doctors are keeping him overnight. Um, Jason has been asking for you, Tori. He really wants to see you.”

My heart leaped for joy knowing that Jason was asking for me. I half wanted to see him, half didn’t want to see him. But I knew if I didn’t see him at all I will probably go insane.

Trevor gave me the directions to his room and I followed them to Jason’s room. Jason had the room to himself and was lying in his bed, dressed in a hospital gown. He was staring up at the ceiling, but he looked my way when I walked in. Our eyes locked together and I quickly hurried over to him. I cupped my hands over his face and kissed him. He pulled me onto his lap.

“I’m so glad you’re alright,” I told him. “I was so worried.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry that I scared you.”

“Why did you go ahead and do what you did, Jason?”

Jason put a hand on my thigh and with the other hand he ran it through my hair. “I don’t know what I was thinking. I mean, I should have been happy with what we did last night. But I felt hurt when you didn’t say that you loved me back after I whispered it to you. I thought maybe you were still angry with me. So I had this thought that I should just go. I went down to the liquor store to get some vodka. I don’t even know what I did after that.”