Chapter Eleven

May 15th, 2017

Southside Jamaica Queens, NY

4:28 P.M.

Onika Tanya Williams

"I don't have a problem if you're sitting inside my shop, but if your appointment isn't for another 3 or 4 hours then you need to go somewhere.", I said.

I was straightening my 10th clients hair today and everybody in the shop was talking about something.

"Remember the girl who had the gun?", Sherika asked.

"That's when I was 6 months pregnant."

"That's why I didn't want you here no more.", Meek said.

"This little girls hair I used to do, she was really tender headed and her mom liked to get her hair braided. Twists usually take me about 4 to 5 hours. I was the last one to leave this shop. Which is uncommon by the way."

"You got home late as fuck. At first I thought you went to Sherika's."

"She decided to be stubborn. I asked if she wanted help and she told me she could do it. Should've helped her anyway."

"It took my longer because I was pregnant. 7 months pregnant and standing up for 7 hours was hell. Then the mom came in here pissed and was asking why was I still on her hair. I was too tired to argue with her. When I was done, I took the money, called Meek to pick me up and went to sleep in the car. Never again will I braid someone's hair and they're tender headed.", I said.

Everybody started laughing and I looked at Meek. He was sitting in the recliner on his phone with Janelle sleeping, laying on his chest.

"Hi. I don't have a appointment but I was wondering if you could braid my daughter's hair.", a lady said.

"Is she tender headed?", I asked.

"No."

"Let me look at my schedule real quick. Baby can you hand me my phone?"

He handed me his and I went to the calendar.

"Nope. This is my last client. I'll be done in 5 minutes."

I gave him back his phone and finished my clients hair.

"There you go."

"Thank you Nicki."

"No problem but remember to wrap your hair. I'll see you in 3 weeks.", I said and she nodded.

She handed me the money and I counted it. I put it in the cash register and walked over to Meek. He scooted over and I laid down next to him.

"You tired Nic. Go home."

"No. I want to stay here. I still have another client."

"I'll do the first half and you'll do the rest. Sound good?"

"Yeah."

"Get her before she starts crying."

I took Janelle off his chest and grabbed her blanket and put it over her. I walked over to the mom and she handed me the hair.

"Okay just making sure. You sure she's not tender headed?"

"She's always been getting braids."

"Alright. Just making sure. I should be done soon. I'll call you when she's done."

I walked back over to the couch and laid down with Janelle on my chest.

"Nic can you go and pick up Pap?", Meek asked.