Episode 8-2: The Angel's Lantern

The human acts quick, pulling out a small box from his jacket and making the angel put some distance between them. The guy flips the switch on the box letting an extremely low pitch booming sound emit, and angel's lantern vibrates furiously and spasms out. It takes flight, carrying the connected angel with it, and instantaneously erupts into all direction it can to get away from the booming sound. The first act between these strangers is a collective sigh from everyone as Clyde and I approach the victims. I can tell by the face their making that they never even knew we were here the whole time. I help up the human, while Clyde picks up his mouse friend.

"Who are you guys?" Clyde asks.

They share a glance before turning back to us. The mouse speaks first, "Just two souls doing what it takes. You two shouldn't be here if you're trying to beat that angel and get the reward that comes with it. You trying to get to Heaven, right?"

"Not exactly," I say. "So Heaven, huh? Killing that woman means you get backstage passes to God's penthouse?"

"We don't kill her, we best her in combat," the human says, "Proving ourselves worthy grants us access to Heaven in the afterlife."

"What ever happened to just being a good person? Does that still count?"

The man smirks. "Why hope to get in when you can know for sure."

Clyde takes another sip from his flask and clears his throat, "No offense, but tonight's fight doesn't seem like you guys are the victors here."

"No," the mouse begins, "we failed tonight. That angel would've killed us and damned our souls to Hell, but Jacob here has an artifact that could disrupt divine powers."

I look at the box in Jacob's hand, "That's one hell of a bass you've got there. How does it work?"

Jacob raises it up to eye-level, "I don't know. All I know is that it works, which means we get another chance tomorrow."

Clyde raises an eyebrow, "Another chance? This ain't the first tussle you've had with that thing?"

Jacob remains silent, and the mouse adverts his eyes to the floor. "She comes back every night," says the mouse, "even after sending her away with the box. Every time it looks like we're not gonna make it, we banish her until tomorrow so we could get another go at her."

This is truly an odd case, but in my experience, it's never so cut in dry as a story you read in a book. Religious or not, these two seem thoroughly convinced, but I don't think the biblical route is something my superiors would settle for in my report.

"I'm Abel by the way," the mouse says while extending his hand.

I snap back to reality, "Able to do what?" A slap crosses the back of my head.

"That's his name, you dink," says Clyde.

Well my face is red, "Oh, whoopsie." I shake his hand, "Troy. And that mountain of muscle back there is Clyde."

Clyde steps in front of me, "Alright, here's the deal. We need that box for research purposes. Will you hand it over peacefully?" I could tell that Clyde's towering physique was intimidating them. Poor Clyde can't tell how wrong of a move this is.

I pull him back from his jacket collar, "Easy there, Robocop. Whether you like it or not, that's their property, and we're not going to force them to part with it."

He smacks my hand away, "Troy, I really don't want to dawdle in Iowa. That piece of technology is significantly related to this scenario, and it does not belong in a civilian's care."

"Wow, big words from a small brain. Guess subtle isn't an option anymore."

"You ain't gettin' this box!" says Jacob.