Chapter six

Shane

IT WAS ALMOST eight o'clock. I had everything ready, and I looked myself over in the mirror for the hundredth time.

A romantic dinner wasn't a thing I would normally do. Not for a girl who I only used to pass the time with. However, Annabel was different. She was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with; Anna was my amazing and breathtaking soul-mate. She was also mysterious and full of surprises, which left me feeling impressed and intrigued. She was growing on me. Destiny or not, that goddess was everything I'd ever dreamed of in my soul-mate.

Though, I needed to fix the loneliness and sadness that was making her close her heart to me. I wanted to protect her and keep her safe from the world, but I had to take things slow so as not to scare her away. The problem was that I couldn't take my hands off her. I just wanted to hold her, smell her, and get lost in her silky and plump lips.

The food was ready, the wine was opened to breathe, and the scented candles were burning in orange and yellow. The fireplace was warming the room. I even had on soft music for background noise. In turn, the full moon was beautiful that night, and the view from the balcony was perfect to watch the stars.

I had a million questions for her. I wanted to know everything. On the other hand, I just wanted to eat, drink, kiss her, and take her to bed, so I could spend all night making her mine. She would be so loved that she wouldn't be able to leave me or sleep with another man.

I wanted her, and I sure made that clear all over town today.

I'd noticed James's surprised eyes when he saw me with her. I had touched and held her hand, so he understood she was taken. That school teacher was mine and off limits to him. I knew what sick bastard he was, seducing human teachers who went there to work. He had probably chosen Annabel because of her looks.

I had a stunning and intelligent soul-mate. No matter how she looked, I would think that she was hot and sexy. We were born to be together. We matched. She laughed at my silly jokes. That was always a good sign. I was still mesmerized by the fact that I had found her. My heart was threatening to stop beating if for some reason I were to lose her or scare her away. The pressure was real, and being apart from her was already making me feel lonely and sad.

It was eight o'clock, and I fixed my collar again. I was dressed to impress with a white Boss shirt and dark suit pants. I'd even shaved. I wanted that night to be perfect, but I was anxious because Annabel insisted on being left alone in her motel room before coming to my home at eight. The road could be tricky, and she could get lost. She could simply run away, and I would never see her again. I was beginning to get paranoid.

The doorbell rang, and I went flying to open the door. And there she was. I almost stopped breathing when I saw her in that beautiful red dress that hugged her perfect curves, with a sexy heart-shaped neckline. She had stunning breasts and beautiful long hair that was elegantly curled. Her makeup was soft but appealing, highlighting her lips and eyes. I had a serious fascination with her red lips. Her mouth was made for me to kiss. It also pleased me the way her eyes lit up at the sight of me.

As for me, I was shaking like a school boy on his prom night. I remembered all my dates. All of those girls weren't nearly as hot and beautiful as Annabel was to me.

"You look amazing." That was all I could manage to say after what seemed like ages staring at her in silence.

"You look very sharp and―"

I arched an eyebrow. "And?"

"Different." She smiled, her gaze aimed at the floor. Looking up, she added, "You look gorgeous, too."

I grinned, flattered by the compliment made in her sexy, sweet voice. I loved everything about her. I was doomed to worship her for life. Not doomed, no—I was blessed. The gods had blessed me with her.

"Come on in," I told her, aware that it was freezing outside, and she was in a sleeveless dress.

Annabel entered but halted, amazed by the décor, her eyes lingering on the scented candles on the table. "How could you possibly have had the time to do all this?"

I closed the door and joined her. "Do you like it?"

"It's amazing," she whispered, sounding surprised. "And it smells delicious."

"I hope you like meat. I mean red meat. Some girls don't."

She looked at me with narrowed eyes, obviously wondering how many girls I had dated and prepared romantic dinners for.

Aware of my mistake, I tried to explain to her piercing eyes, "I mean...I mean many girls, in general, don't like meat or don't eat it at all. I don't really do this often, rarely even. In fact, this is the first time I've done something like this."

Her perfectly shaped lips curled into a smile, apparently amused by my babbling.

Placing a hand on her lower back to guide her to the table, I asked, "Do you want some wine?" I wanted to change the subject.

"Yes, please."

While I served the wine, she stared at the fireplace and walked past the table, touching the roses with her fingertips, walking with the elegance of a cat and the alluring light of a goddess. She was so beautiful that I almost spilled the wine on myself because I couldn't stop looking at her. I was clumsy around her. I tried to act cool and calm, but I was always nervous and unsure of what to do to make her look at me the way I looked at her.

"The wine is really good and sweet," she said after a while of confusing silence as we stared at each other and sipped the wine.

It hit me that I hadn't kissed her at the door. I should have kissed her. But then I probably wouldn't have been able to stop, and the night would've been ruined. Not ruined, but it would have been a failure that I didn't want to regret. I wanted us to have a romantic dinner. I wanted to talk to her and learn things about her.

"I'm glad you like it. Are you hungry?"

"What's your plan?" she asked, running her finger along the rim of the glass. She wet her fingertip and sucked it off with her lips, making me swallow hard. She was being naughty on purpose.

"My plan for what?"

"For tonight."

"Dinner, talking, and perhaps a massage, so you'll stop being so tense all the time," I replied.

She pursed her lips together and then grinned. "Weren't you planning on taking me to bed?"