Chapter five

Annabel

"SO―VAMPIRES?" SHANE ASKED while we were walking down the street on our way for a late lunch at the local diner.

"What?" I was completely spacing out.

"You think you were attacked by vampires. That was what you said back there, before I almost made you think I was crazy."

"So what were they if not vampires? They simply disappeared when you shot them."

"They ran. I gave a warning shot, and they took off."

"And the dust?"

Now I was just being mean in order to see what excuse he was going to give me. He wasn't going to tell me what he was or what the people in this town were. He wouldn't tell their secrets to a human. And he had no idea that I wasn't a human. Hybrids smelled like humans. It was our way of staying safe from human hunters and supernatural radicals who wanted our heads. It wasn't easy to be a hybrid. At least, we could hide among humans and tell only the ones we trusted exactly what we are. Shane could be hot and apparently harmless, but he hadn't yet earned my trust. I hadn't survived for so long by willingly trusting someone I'd just met.

"It was dry last night. Sometimes the wind blows and carries dust along with it."

"Hmm."

"Vampires don't exist," Shane said, grinning as he reached to hold my hand. "You must have bumped your head when you fainted."

"Probably," I replied, knowing perfectly well that he took me in his arms long before I could fall to the floor with my fake faint.

I stared at our hands together and felt warm inside. My muscles relaxed as I looked around at the seemingly friendly community with its cozy little shops and charming buildings.

"You can't actually believe that I killed vampires," Shane said after a while, probably trying to figure out if I was convinced by his explanation.

"You did save me from those guys. Vampires or not," I replied.

Playing the damsel in distress was a funny thing for me, and I almost chuckled, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Even though I could protect myself, it was nice to be saved for once. He cared enough to come outside and protect a stranger from vampires.

"We don't like those types of people in this town. I didn't like the way they were looking at you," he confessed, making my heart speed up. He was, without a doubt, a good guy. "Besides, they were warned to behave when they got here a few days ago―but seemed to forget about that."

"So they weren't from this town?" I asked, gathering information.

"No, they were outsiders. We don't mind outsiders as long as they play by our rules," Shane said, and I stared at him, intrigued. "What were you doing in the bar that late?"

"That's kind of a sexist question. Can't a girl go out for a late drink?"

"I didn't mean to sound sexist." His face became pale at my accusation. Apparently, he didn't want to seem judgmental. It was interesting how much he wanted to please me.

"I can take care of myself," I said, smiling, so I wouldn't hurt his feelings. "But I appreciate you coming out to check on me, even if I think you were hitting on me at the bar."

"I was definitely hitting on you," he said, making my silly heart jump inside my chest. "And I'm very interested in knowing how you are planning to thank me," he added in a relaxed tone, throwing in a naughty smile that made me laugh.