Chapter two

Annabel

HE HAD SHORT BROWN HAIR with angelic curly locks on top paired with deep, soft, beautiful, blue eyes. Plus, plump lips that seemed like they were made for kissing. He had a face that could be immortalized in photos or paintings, able to compete with even the most gorgeous male models. He was the perfect height for laying my head against his shoulder and getting lost in the incredible, uncommon smell of freshness that I recognized on him when he sat next to me at the bar. That one-week-old beard was the last drop in the ocean that almost made me lose my mind, as well as my focus on the whole purpose of being in that forsaken place in the middle of nowhere. Saying that he was dreamy was not enough, but there wasn't a single word good enough to describe him.

I'd followed every curve made by his shirt and jeans when I first noticed him at the back of the bar. Even with so many guys there, it was like my senses were drawn to him and only him. I could not deny that he was hot. He would be quite gorgeous in his birthday suit. He was a real temptation on legs, but one I couldn't afford in that moment. Still, one I had difficulty resisting after listening to his deep, sexy voice as he tried to make conversation. I never expected him to come near me. I'd hoped to go to him. This weird pulling attraction to him was messing up my purpose for being there. But his coming to me was not in my plans. It was a damn distraction.

I tried to dissuade him and make him leave my side. I got nervous when I noticed that he had a revolver hidden under his shirt. From the corner of my eye, though, I understood why all the men went back to their seats and stopped giving me the same attention as when I'd entered. No one would dare try to pick me up with him next to me. No one would dare try to compete with him. Not even the dark figures I had tracked here. He was dripping with power and had respect among the others.

And he had an amazing smile. I almost smiled back, but I couldn't give him my attention. Besides, it was not his species that I was interested in. I was more interested in making acquaintance with the three vampires in the darkest corner, surrounded by werewolves and shapeshifters but, to my surprise, no humans. I needed information about their creator. However, apparently, the gods had some twisted sense of humor and put that gorgeous, breathtaking man in my way.

The gods could suck it! I wasn't looking for a playmate.

Waking up, I sighed deeply, inhaling the freshness and warmth of the cozy place where I lay. The memories of the previous night were still fresh on by mind, but then it hit me. I had no clue where I was or how I got here. I was comfortable, though. Nevertheless, I couldn't understand why the sun was so warm on my face. I felt safe as if I were ten years old again and still living at home. I had never felt safe since the attack. It had been eight long years of running, chasing, and hiding. Sleeping the whole night without waking up covered in sweat with a racing heart was also something new.

How did I get here, anyway? It was all a bit foggy. I remembered going outside, seeing the vampires, and watching the gorgeous man shoot them down. I was surprised and disappointed at the same time because I wanted to talk with at least one of them. And then I did what any clever girl would do after an encounter with dangerous creatures and her savior. I fainted. At least, I pretended to. Only to be held in strong and attentive arms. He smelled even better up close. I had to restrain myself from the temptation of wrapping my arms around him and letting a moan escape my lips.

I heard him talking to someone before putting me in his car. And because I saw the badge that was over his belt, next to the gun, I understood that he was the sheriff in these parts. Not a hunter like me; just the sheriff. He was a werewolf sheriff who knew what those things were and what they wanted to do to me. I understood the revolver and the quick decision to kill those who didn't respect his authority. However, I didn't expect to succumb to tiredness. It had been three long days, and I had barely slept. I wasn't used to putting enough trust in a stranger to willingly fall asleep in the seat of his car.