VIII

Luke didn't understand. Why wasn't he allowed to go to school? No, he didn't exactly want to go to school, but, at the same time, he was being dragged to a doctor for a reason he wasn't sure of.

He looked over at Calum, who was still in his pyjamas. Except, unlike before, the smaller boy had his head hung in what seemed like guilt."Hey, do you know what's going on here?" Luke asked him.

Calum's head snapped up immediately, his eyes wide and looking towards Luke."W-What?"

Luke sent Calum a confused smile, but the boy's cheeks were still flushed bright red."Do you know why I'm being dragged with you to the doctors? Am I here for moral support, or did I actually do something that makes them think I'm insane?"

Calum's mouth opened and closed, seeming like he was trying to say something but no sound came out. Before he could speak, Nathan appeared next to them."Luke, go upstairs and get changed out of your uniform. Calum, actually put on suitable clothes, okay?"

Calum nodded sheepishly and Luke just groaned, the two of them heading upstairs to their room. Luke closed the door behind them, before heading over to his bed to get some clothes to change into. He didn't pay attention to Calum, just quickly changing into his clothes and hopping off of his bed.

Luke then sat down on Calum's bunk, waiting for the boy to get changed. For some reason, Calum seemed to always change in the bathroom, which Luke didn't understand, because he always seemed to be trying to hide. It wasn't as if Luke was going to look, but still, Calum changed in a different room.

Once Calum returned, Luke watched him, and he could tell that Calum was nervous already at Luke staring at him. Calum kept glancing at Luke with a shy expression."W-What?" He finally managed to ask.

"You didn't answer my question earlier," Luke reminded him, grinning at Calum's nervousness, finding it kind of adorable but kind of weird."Why am I coming with you?"

Calum just stared at Luke, breath caught in his throat and heart pulsing within his chest. Was he supposed to lie to Luke? Tell him the truth? Calum couldn't lie to Luke, but if he told him the truth, Luke would be mad. Really mad.

"I-It's about your r-reading," Calum mumbled anxiously, eyes fixated on the floor. However, he could see Luke's balled up fists out of the corner of his eye.

"You told Nathan? What the hell, Calum?!" Luke snapped, throwing his arms around in exasperation and anger. "I told you that in confidence, I didn't want you to go spilling it to Nathan! And why is it even a problem? I can't read, I'm obviously just not that smart, so why do I have to come with you? I just - ugh!" The veins in Luke's neck were prominent as he kicked his foot into the wall. How could Calum do this to him? Not only had he broken Luke's trust, but he practically handed Luke over to the adults and now he was going to the doctor to be tested for who knows what.

Calum just watched Luke in fear, wanting to crumble onto the ground and disappear. As much as he was regretting telling Nathan about Luke's reading abilities, or lack of, he knew that Luke needed help and this would ensure he would get it.

"I-I'm sorry, I really am," Calum stammered, standing a safe distance away from the angry blonde in front of him. "But you need this, Luke."

Luke's head snapped to face him, "Since when do you or anyone else decide what's best for me? It's not like you're sprinting to the van in excitement to see the doctor, I thought you would understand." Calum looked Luke directly, not feeling so scared anymore. The blonde boy wasn't twitching in anger anymore, he looked genuinely hurt now and Calum felt so bad because he was the cause of this.