II

In Ashton's experience, the first night in a new home was always the worst. No one knew anybody, everyone was awkward and unsure of the people around them, and it was the deadly time of first impressions. Ashton never had been good at first impressions, not that being unable to talk helped much. He always seemed to give a wrong look to somebody or do something horribly wrong, because he hadn't had a real friend for as long as he could remember.

So now, sitting at the dinner table with all the new residents, Ashton felt incredibly uneasy. Nathan and the other care worker, a young woman named Haley, had made them all an easy meal of macaroni and cheese, but everyone seemed to be more focused on the people at the table, as opposed to what was on it.

Ashton had already managed to attach a few names to faces, but he was almost positive his name wouldn't be remembered by anyone. He seemed to be the only one eating the meal in complete silence, occasionally looking down at his lap where his sketchbook rested, to make sure no one had taken it. Call him paranoid, but no one was allowed to see his sketchbook - a rule as strict as no one being allowed to hear his voice.

Luke was sat at the head of the table, for a reason he wasn't sure existed, and really couldn't find the need to talk to anyone. He wasn't one for friends, or even acquaintances, and would rather that everybody stayed out of his way and vice-versa. He could take care of himself, he didn't need anyone. That's how it was before care, and that's how it was going to be while Luke was in care, he'd make sure of it.

He'd have preferred it if he was allowed to make his own dinner, sit in his own room - not that he had one yet, the roommate announcements were after dinner - and enjoy the time he had to himself. But, of course, this wasn't a fairytale world designed just for him. Now, he was stuck at a table with people he doubted he'd ever bond with in any way.

Now, Luke wasn't ungrateful. He was thankful for a roof over his head and the food Haley had prepared for them, but he hated depending on people. If Luke was in his own house, he could sort himself out because he knew that he could get things done and come through with finding food, but what if one day Haley forgot to feed them? Or Nathan forgot to pay the bills? His life was in someone else's hands, and that wasn't how he liked it.

Luke was better off alone.

Michael had taken note of the two boys who had managed to avoid any conversation that came about, and wondered if they were alright. Were they not feeling well? Homesick? Sad? Michael could understand if they felt any of those emotions, but he didn't like seeing other people sad. He had a natural desire to make people happy, because it was the one thing he couldn't give himself - happiness.

He glanced over at Calum, who had barely touched any of his food and was practically squeezing the life out the toy puppy he had hidden under the table. Maybe he was nervous, Michael figured. Calum was new to the system, and seemed to be scared by everything. Michael was relatively new as well, and this was also his first proper children's home, but nothing about any of this phased him. He knew it was only temporary, and he'd get to see his mum soon, so he didn't need to worry about anything. Sure, Michael wasn't a big fan of his current situation, but he knew that, if he waited long enough, he'd be back with his mum and that was all he wanted, really.

Michael's ears pricked up at the sound of cutlery hitting the wooden floor, and looked across the table to see one of the girls, who he was sure was called Melissa, duck under the table to retrieve the dropped fork. But, he couldn't help but think she was taking a lot longer than necessary to come back out from under the large dinner table.

Nathan and Haley had both finished their meals, and felt it was only fair if they gave the kids some time to talk amongst themselves and get to know one another, so they'd disappeared into the kitchen to wash up. It was then that Melissa sat up again and whispered something to the girl beside her named Victoria. And Michael really didn't have a good feeling about this.