{9}

Chapter Nine

Over the next week or so Casper spent practically every waking moment with his head down and his thumbs typing rapidly into his phone sending messages back and fourth to Daniel, trying to learn everything he could of the skater.

So far he’d learnt Daniel was a child of three; he was the oldest, then there was his little brother, and then his little sister. The conversation about Daniel’s Labrador came up again and this time Casper didn’t miss it.

Just after a few days Daniel shared that his mother had raised him all on her own before she met her husband and father to his younger siblings, who he now looked at as his own dad but had a rocky start, and Daniel had a great respect for his mum because of this because he knew it must’ve been hard as she was very young at the time when his real Dad just took off. Casper was very honoured to be trusted with this information, glad to know that even though they had only knew each other for a short period of time he was being trusted. He felt he could be open with Daniel too and were telling each other about their deepest secrets and fears that Casper had only ever told Darla and Daisy and soon Daniel had became a precious friend to him.

What struck him the most was how nice the guy was- seriously, who could be that nice? Casper wasn’t the only one that Daniel had become somewhat precious to. After meeting Casper and knowing Casper was friends with Darla, the next time Daniel was in school he went out of his way to greet her and share a small conversation before moving onto his next class and then continued to do so every time he saw her and even ended up sitting next to her at lunch. Darla, the one girl everyone avoided.

Casper knew how hard Darla got it in school. How most people didn’t get her, mistaken her appearance and the way she came too strong as something else entirely. Sure she got around, and even Casper had more than once called her a slut himself –always in a joking manner and lace with affection, of course- but everyone there acted as if she was going to jump them plus their gran, and so avoided her at all cost while throwing abuse over their shoulder. Girls didn’t like her because they thought she was tainted and without morals, coming on to everyone that passed her by and the boys would be up for it but after that have nothing to do with her because of her reputation. Casper even remembered the incident a year back when she got caught in a fight with some of her girl classmates as one of them thought she was sleeping with her boyfriend, which she probably was but violence didn’t help anything and Darla had to walk about with scratch marks and a black eye for weeks.

The teachers were even worse, treating her like shit. Sneering at her and picking on her, treating her as if she was stupid and didn’t help her properly. It broke Casper’s heart every time Darla came home from school, waiting on his doorstep waiting to cry on his shoulder. He couldn’t imagine what it did to hers.

Darla’s parents also wouldn’t let her move school as they thought that Casper’s school wouldn’t provide accurate or unlimited religious education as Casper’s school was a Catholic school. Her parents were pretty big on culture and other religions so they were very strong about the matter. Though the fact that Darla hadn’t told them about the treatment she got in the school was also a problem in that department.

But even so, for some odd reason, Darla loved school. Love to learn. And even when her classmates and teachers treated her like vermin that never stopped her from learning what she could, Darla was really smart and that could probably another reason why everyone hated her. Why is it that a fucking slut like her gets good grades? Probably fucking the teacher or something. No it’s because she is a fucking genius and has nerves made of steel.  

So excuse Casper if talking to one of his best friends finally was being seen and spoken to as if she was another human being other than some trash or something you could poke at until it broke made him a little convinced that Daniel was probably was the greatest guy he had ever met. You couldn’t blame Casper for being a little platonically infatuated by the guy.