The basement.

It was the night before Christmas, and the the snow had started to fall, covering the ground with a white layer. Annie was looking out of the window at the snowdrops, smiling at how beautiful the scene was. That' was the thing with Annie, no matter how sad things were, like if there were problems with family or friends, she would always find something to smile about. Her smile filled the air with passion and warmth. Her skin glowed and her eyes sparkled as she gazed across the horizon. It was nearing midnight and the street lamps were the only light you could see. Annie tucked herself into bed next to where a lay as quietly as she could, tucking her cold toe's under my legs. She nuzzled her head into my chest and drifted into a deep sleep. I could feel her breathe on my neck. The heat of her skin was warming me up on this bitterly cold night. She slept soundly, knowing she was safe I relaxed my body, and let sleep take over. Knowing that in the morning, my Sleeping beauty would be next to me once again.

The next morning when I woke I could feel the excitement buzzing in the air. The snow was thick on the ground. The sun had lit the sky like a flame on a candle. This was the first Christmas where me and Annie were alone. Annie was still soundly sleeping. I padded quietly along the cold hallway, down the stairs into the kitchen. Deafening silence rang through the house. The smell of the turkey Annie prepared last night filled the house. We decided that we're were going to do it right. I stepped out the back door for a few seconds and took in the surrounding. The cold air hit my ankles and then rose up my legs wrapped around my chest. A shiver went through my body, 

"It's bloody freezing ya'know!" Annie’s voice rang through my ears.

I turned to see her standing by the door. Her hair ragged and her clothes torn. Eyes burning red and skin pale white. I stepped towards her, hands out stretched. My baby. She ran into my arms and sobbed into my neck. I tugged her towards the door, she was reluctant but followed. She was shaking, I wanted to take her pain away. I knew she saw the basement. I knew she saw it before I did. I knew I could never take away the pain in her heart.

We got to the hall away and she clasped my shirt, pulling at all my heart strings no doubt. I pulled her to the ground slowly and she fell into my lap. I pulled her into me and her sobs soaked through my shirt. Her sobs grew louder and deeper, her chest shuddered and heaved. My arms tightened around her. 

"Baby, we need to call the police. You know that right? I need to move for a second. I'll be back. I wont leave. I'll be two seconds."

Her eyes widened and the tears carried on dripping. I moved off the floor slowly. I pulled my phone out reluctantly and walked to the back of the house.

"Hello... Police.. My girlfriends... The basement.. I... Just come quick" My words were quiet and sobs broke from my chest. The woman on the line was patient and kind. She stayed on the phone until I heard a car. Annie’s eyes filled with fear and torment and someone knocked at the door. I pulled it open and told the officer as descriptively as I could what I had seen.

I showed him to Annie.

Her tears kept falling as we went to the basement.