Chapter 3. The Call

"Luke... Luke... LUKE" Annie.

My favourite sound to hear in the morning. She was learning against my bed, her curls flowing loosely at her side, her eyes burning deep with passion. 

"Annie. You have to let me sleep. I'll get cranky. Do you want a boring boyfriend who shouts and gets boring?" She giggled and curled up next to me, leaning her head on my bare chest. I tickled her and she squealed and tried to wiggle out my grip. I pulled her in tight and wrapped her up in my arms. 

I noticed she was wearing one of my best tops, even in a guy's shirt she looked simply beautiful. Her hair hung loosely and her arms fell limp at her side, she closed her eyes and rested her head. Soon she drifted off to sleep in my arms. Her breath slowed, as she fell deeper and deeper into her dreams. I placed a silky blanket over her and made my way down stairs. After an hour or so I made my way back to my very own sleeping beauty. She had barely moved. Her hair looked slightly tousled and skin was ghostly pale. I lay next to her stroking her hair. She woke up and beamed up at me. A smile which made angels cry. "You were starting to worry me,” I whispered. “I love you, so, so much." I plant a summery kiss on her forehead, and she smiles up at me, her eyes glistening with love and compassion. 

"I love you too luke. Make me a promise?" 

"Anything. Anything at all"

"Someday, lets get away from here. Lets leave it all behind. Start again. On our own. Can We? Please?"

"I wouldn't want to live any other way"

She smiled and moved up to me. Her lips brushed mine. Lightly at first. Then she kissed me with a smouldering passion. Each of her kisses burned my lips with love. For this moment..Was perfect.

I woke up to the sound of my phone shrilling. At first I thought it was a alarm. Then I realised it was my ring tone.

"Hello?"

"Is this Luke ?" Something about this man's voice wasn't right.

"ehhh Yes. Who's speaking please?" After a slight pause I got my reply, and it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. 

"You don't know me. But I know you. And Annie. I know her very well" His voice sent shivers down my spine. The coldness in his voice sent thoughts into my mind. One thought. Annie.

"What.. Who are you?"

The phone went dead. My hands shook and tears filled my eyes. Something wasn't right. My feet were already moving. Pulling on whatever I could find. I dialled Annie's number and headed straight to the door.

"... Annie. Ring me. When you can. Look. Don't worry. I'm coming over. I think... I think some thing’s happened. I got a phone call.. I.. Don't move. I'm Coming to you okay. I love you Annie." 

I rang again and again. The sound of the shrilling Voice mail each time. I walked and walked. When Annie's house came across the horizon I broke into a sprint. Feeling nothing but urgency to get to her. To see her. To make sure she was safe.

I moved as fast as my feet would take me. I no longer felt alone. I knew someone. Somewhere there was someone watching me, I could feel it. I felt there eyes like lasers on my back. Burning holes in my skin. I kept moving. I just needed to get to Annie, then my panic would be over. 

I reached the house. The front door was closed but not locked. I knocked a few times then opened the door and called through. 

"Annie? ANNIE??" I screeched frantically, my voice becoming more frustrated every silent second, more panicked. But I kept myself on my feet. I moved into the house and stood in the hall. Something was wrong. Shivers went through my spine. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. My hands curled into fists. I moved walked into the hall. Moving slowly, I climbed the stairs.  I heard a noise. I froze. Hovering on the stairs I noticed a glow from Annie's room. I grabbed the banister and ran to the room. Only disappointment . It was the TV. Annie’s bed unmade, clothes on the floor.

I moved out of her room and checked the others. They were all the same. Empty. I descended the stairs and checked the ground floor.

After a few more rooms I rang Annie Again. 

...

Her phone buzzed. I followed the sound. The sound filled the basement. After slight hesitation I went down. I took the stairs two at a time. Rushing down faster. I hit the ground and stopped. 

I looked at the ground. My mind blanked.