Chapter Three

*AUTHOR'S NOTE* - There is a lot of confusion regarding Ginelle and Dorian's age so I thought I'd clarify. At the beginning of the story Ginelle is 14 yrs. and Dorian 20 yrs. (though I do not state his age). In this chapter you'll find letters from Eloise to Dorian and within these letters a 4 year span transpires. At Dorian's return, he is now 24 and Ginelle 18 yrs old. I hope this has helped with some of the confusion.:) 

            The next few months passed in a blur of eagerness and excitement for Ginelle. It was almost as if she and Eloise were beloved kindred for they spent every minute of every day together. They spent hours on her lessons, Eloise claiming that she should have had an education at the early age of six or seven. There was much to be learned and Eloise was as ardently to teach as Ginelle was to learn.

            Eloise had started with the basics. Ginelle was taught to read and write and than eventually when she mastered that, they moved on to reading. She began with simple material until she accomplished it and moved on to more difficult text. Eloise was amused by Ginelle’s appetite for knowledge and impressed by how quickly she adapted to her schooling. She had an absolute desire to learn and study new and exciting things despite beginning at a later age.

            She became well equipped in the knowledge of a domesticated gentlewoman and that in which was required. She excelled in arithmetic and literacy and grew accustomed to polished manners. She had an innate capacity to learn, absorbing all the skills taught to her. She relished in the art of dance and took immense delight in music; she was taught needlework and despite pricking her fingers numerous times she was fascinated in learning something new.

            Time all but ceased to exist as the months passed in haste and soon a year was upon them. Along with her wide varieties of education, she was instructed on etiquette and the proper apparel for certain occasions. Eloise kept her well informed on housewifery skills and managing her own estate one day. Secretly, Ginelle vowed that, that day would not come. She vowed never to belong to a man who would control and possess her. The very thought disturbed and frightened her.

            They spent much time in the garden, reading poetry and discussing art and music. They attended the opera and when the weather was warm and inviting, they went horse back riding.

            Ginelle valued all the knowledge given to her, including every moment she and Eloise shared, delighting in the happiness they shared. Even Lucile was beginning to show signs of warmth, occasionally her thin mouth would lift in a reluctant smile despite her impassive manner. Ginelle had learned much of the older woman who protectively followed in Eloise’s shadow. Lucile cared for Eloise as if she were own.

            Pierino was still a consistent fear in the back of her mind, always a shadow, haunting her dreams, reminding her of her self-worth and at times dragging her back to the bottomless pit of oblivion. Every night, her dreams were plagued with sharp, black eyes and large hands, reaching to steal her from Eloise. She eagerly learned as much as she could in hopes that one day she could defeat her demon and be relieved of her nightmares.

20 November, 1814

            My dear Dorian-