Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Eliza’s POV

It wasn’t the loud steady beep that woke me up but the vigorous foot tapping. It wouldn’t stop. I tried to groan however it only came out like a gurgle. The tapping suddenly stopped only to fill with noise.

  “Eliza.” He whispered, I froze I was scared. I was scared he would be angry at me. That he would shout. 

  “Noah.” I whispered back, I opened my eyes, I was prepared to be blinded by light however there was only a faint glow from the desk lamp.  Noah’s piercing blue eyes met mine; I could see the upset he had been through, it only made me recline further away from him.

  “Oh god.” He gasped, nearly collapsing onto the bed. “You are okay.”

  “Of course I would be.” I smiled weakly. He grasped my hand tightly, looking at me like I may disappear.

  “Please don’t do that to me ever again.” He mumbled.

  “What?” I frowned.

  “Scare me like.” He admitted. “I watched you collapse to the floor. Eliza.” His voice slightly rose. “I saw you nearly bleed to death as you hugged Teddy and Alex on for dear life.”

  “I watched them operate on you.” He whispered. I gasped, it came back to me, flickers of memories, how I had searched the water looking for Teddy’s corpse. I looked around realising I wasn’t in my comfortable bed but a hospital room.

  “Alex, Teddy.” I tried to scream, ripping the syringes and tubes out of my arms.

  “Eliza stop!” Noah cried, trying to prevent me from leaving the room, but his voice was just a mumble of noise. I fell off the bed only to scramble up again and tear the door open. I hobbled down the hallway sniffing for Teddy and Alex’s scent. I followed the hallway to the stairs and carried up the stairs wheezing for air. I blocked out Noah’s pleads and begs for me to stop. I was at the lobby of the house, the scent was everywhere, I was confused.

  “Where are they?” I whispered tears threatening to spill onto my cheeks.  “What happened to them?”

  “I’ve been trying to tell you.” Noah said calmly walking towards me cautiously. “They are fine. They were discharged a week ago; Mark has just taken them to the park.” I stared at Noah trying to see if he was lying to me.

  “Wh-what happened?” My voice cracked, I was scared.

What had happened to me?

I felt my body start to weaken, I was going to collapse. My knees buckled and I gasped for breath. My mind was becoming hazy, everything started to dim and I could only see Noah’s worried face. I was going to faint.

  “No. Not again.” I groaned.

[] [] [] []

I felt so bruised. I felt like I had been thrown against a wall repeatedly.  I moaned; it hurt.

  “Eliza.” An upset voice made my peacefulness start to shatter as reality swamped me; I opened my eyes to see a terrified Noah perched on my bed.  

 I tried to make voice speak but my throat was so dry. I looked at the bed seeing there was a cool jug of water.  I grabbed the whole jug not caring about a glass and drunk it all. I gasped in relief afterwards.

Noah looked at me patiently. “Are you okay?” He whispered.

  “I’m fine of course I am!” I attempted to say strongly however it only came out like a mumble. We sat in silence neither of us knowing what to say, it was unbearable.