Chapter 6

I arrived the next day in school, walking to my locker. I spotted Harry walking my way, so I decided to stop and talk to him.

“Hey Harry” I said, leaning against my locker.

“Hey Julie” he said, smiling at me.

“How are you?” I asked, noticing he looked a little down.

“I’m doing fine, and you?” he asked back.

“Great. Just great. Hey, is everything okay? You don’t seem too.. happy today”

“Oh I’m fine, just got into a little fight last night, but I’m fine really”

“A fight? With who?” I stepped closer to him, getting a little worried.

“Oh, it was just with Marcel. Hey I gotta go to class, see you later”

“Yeah, you too”

He nodded and walked away, pushing his backpack strap higher. So Marcel can talk! I decided to take his word for it and not worry much. I got the remaining stuff for my class. I remembered that I had class with Marcel right now. I sighed, deciding to just not attempt to talk to him today. I set my stuff down and sat in my seat. I looked up at the board and groaned. Project time. This is the last thing I need right now. As soon as the bell rang, Mr. Bright called me over to his desk.

“What’s up, Bright?” I said, looking down at him since he was still sitting in his chair.

“Listen, I want you to be partners with Marcel on this project”

“What? Why? Is this a partner project?” I asked. I was confused as to why he chose me.

“Yes, Julie, this is a partner project. And I want you to be Marcel’s partner because you were the only one  who actually tried to talk to him. I’m letting everyone choose their own partners, and I know for a fact that no one is gonna choose him, him being new and no one really knowing him. You’re a good kid, and just please, I want him to succeed in this class, and he’s going to need someone by his side, like a helper”

I thought about it for a moment, “Okay, okay, I’ll be his partner. What’s the project about?”

“You’ll find out soon. Now go sit”

I walked back to my seat. I guess being partners with him won’t be that bad. I need to get a word out of him sooner or later.

“Okay, class, project time! So this project is as simple as it comes. You have to make a video about everything that you learned here in this class so far. That means stuff like Shakespeare, short stories we read, poems, magic surrealism. I really want you guys to make this as creative as possible.  I know it’s English, but you don’t have to be all homework like. Have fun with it. Re-enact a scene from Romeo and Juliet, read a poem in a British accent, I don’t care as long as you have the information and all of the elements included into your video. Now, this is a partner project, and you can only have one partner per group. So in about a minute, you can go with whoever you choose and discuss what you want to do. I’ll be handing out papers with more information on it”.

As soon as he stopped talking it was a mad house. Everybody was going for each other. Normally I would choose my friend, Hannah, but now I have to work with Marcel.

“Hey Julie, you ready for this?” Hannah said, coming up to me.

“Hey, I’m sorry, but I gotta work with Marcel. Teacher’s directions”

“Ahh, I see. Well, I wish you the best of luck, if you need any escape from him, just call me and I’ll rescue you” she joked.

“You’re always a great friend” I joked back. We laughed and I made my way over to a rather lonely Marcel.

“Hey Marcel, looks like we’re going to be partners” I said, leaning my hands on his desk and getting my head eye level with his.

He looked up, but quickly looked down and continued writing in his notebook.

“Um, Marcel, we’re going to have to communicate if we want to get a good grade on this project” I said, trying not to lose my temper.

He sighed and closed his book. I got down on my knees and rested my hands on top of his desk.

“So, got any ideas?” I asked.

“Well, let’s first decide on the order of the topics we’ll be discussing and then we’ll make a script”

“Okay, sounds good. I can make the list and order which topics we’ll do. When do you want to meet up? And where?”

He didn’t say a word, it seemed I had shut him down. Was the question too hard?

“U-Um, you can come over to my place. We’ll work on it there” he finally answered, sounding a little rushed.

I nodded my head, “Okay, I just need your address and I can come over sometime after school? Will that be fine?”

“Yeah, that’ll be good”

“Is 4 okay?”

“4 is good”

“Okay. Cool”

He handed me a ripped out piece of paper with the address on it. I stood up and walked back to my desk. He didn’t seem too comfortable with me being there. Just shy I guess.

“Ok class, back to your seats” Bright directed.

Can’t wait to get this project going. Hopefully Harry won’t be too much of a bother.