Chapter Six

"Who was that?" When I didn't respond to the question asked by my 'dad', he had the audacity to begin tapping his foot against the hardwood. "Are you deaf, as well as grounded?" I was chewing on the inside of my bottom lip until it bled.

"No, father. I can hear you fine." My tone was shaky, I was just about to snap. How dare this piece of shit try and come back after all the shit he pulled. And how dare my mom just stand back and let him!

He crossed this arms, attempting to be intimidating. "Good, now can you explain to your mother and I who you were with?"

"No," I stated flatly. "No I can't." My eyes narrowed as the bitter taste of iron enveloped my taste buds.

"And why the hell not," he questioned.

Mimicking what he'd said the last time I'd seen him, all those years ago, "because I'm the daughter and I said so. I have more authority around here than you'll ever have in your natural-born life." I shoulder-checked him and raced up the stairs to my bedroom before being interrogated any further.

I wanted to cry so bad. Over this stupid bet. Over that stupid asshole, Trevor. Over my father. Hell, the only things that brought me any joy were my friends, getting out of the house, and now Cole. I'd never laughed more in years than I had today, with him.

So, I took a quick shower, changed my clothes, and I sat in my windowsill - door locked - as waited for the world to be quiet again.

I don't know how long I sat there, but when the sun went down, I had to get out. As much as I wanted to text Cole and beg for him to come and get me, I didn't want him to learn about that part of my life.

I lifted the window open and crawled out onto my roof. The moon was so big tonight, the light leeching the color from everything it touched. But it was beautiful. The stillness was comforting. Glancing around, I saw no one around and took it as my opportunity to go to the only place that reminded of a time when things were simple - easy even.

After climbing down the tree beside the house, I shoved my hands into the pocket of my hoodie and walked down a couple of blocks to the park. It was run-down and decrepit, but it was a place for peace. I remember being here when I was still a little girl. When it used to just be me, mom, and Aaron - back when she still cared.

As I continued to walk past old jungle-gyms and rusted slides an avalanche of memories followed. I remember when I was younger, a girl was pushing Ashley around and calling her all of these mean names. So, I got them to stop and we all became the best of friends - her name was Chelsea. Yes, the Chelsea I've come to know and love. And as for the other little girl, well you've met Ashley already.

I smiled at the memory as I lowered myself onto a small swing. My knees bent in as I motioned myself back and forth, the night's cool wind breezing past my face and through my wavy hair. I stared at the sky, with all it's twinkling stars and began to quietly hum nothing in particular.

A silent tear slid down my cheek as I thought about my mom, it almost hurt to think about her. She hasn't been the same person since the day Aaron died...it was almost like she had forgotten that he was my family too. Like it didn't hurt me just as much as it has hurt her.

When we're on the phone, everything sounds normal, but once we speak in person she's just so...empty. All I can do is stare into her brown eyes, and once I do, I realize that there's nothing there anymore. It's like she just goes through the motions of life now, never truly enjoying it. And the depressing thing is that I know that no matter what I do, I can't fix it. I can't fix us.

My cell pinged, pulling me out of my own mind.

From: Cole

Are you okay?

I turned around and searched for him. No way he could see me right now.

To: Cole

Yeah, why?

From: Cole

No reason, just had a bad feeling...are you sure?

To: Cole

Absolutely

Just as I sent the text, a tear droplet fell onto my screen. Wiping it away, it pinged again.

From: Cole

I'm coming over.

To: Cole

You don't need to, I'm fine!

From: Cole

I'll be there in 10 minutes.

I smiled at the sweet gesture and began running back to my house, scaling it and sitting back on the roof. My mind was now set at ease as I noticed my excitement to see Cole again.

Ten minutes later, as promised, Cole came pulling into the driveway - headlights off. He headed for the door when I whisper-screamed, "Pst! Cole! Up here!" His head lifted to me and I smiled shyly. He pointed to the front door and I shook my head and pointed to the tree. He gave me a look as if saying you've gotta be kidding me, but climbed it anyways.

After the climb, he laid beside me and watched the sky with me. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I am now." He turned to face me - those blue eyes catching me off guard. I didn't want to look away, but I had to or else I'd look like a weirdo. As soon as I looked back up, I could feel him intertwine his fingers in mine. Everything was so surreal, so perfect; it was almost too good to be true. 

Maybe I'm dreaming again...

"Do you wanna dance?" I looked at him quizzically.

"What? Did you say dance?" He nodded. "Why?"

He stood up and held out his hand. "Well, with a night, and a girl so perfect, I think the real question is why not?"

Cole helped me up as I giggled out, "you are so cheesy."

"You know you love me," he joked. As he playfully twirled me around, causing my heart to warm, he pulled me close. We swayed as I nuzzled my face into his neck, inhaling the scent that made me feel safe.

Without warning, he dipped my head back. I laughed out until he lifted me up, I was caught in those eyes again. My laughter had faded away, and my breathing was soft. As I stared at him, all I could think about was one little question burning through my brain, continuing to trail with my thoughts.

Is this what falling in love feels like...?

               Cole to the right! >>