Chapter One

Testosterone was in the air, and I was feeling good - well as good as you can be when you're intoxicated.

In an instant, my heel caught under me and my body collided with the floor, causing me to giggle like a first-time drunk. Of course, I wasn't in my right mind when I grabbed the palm hovering above my head. I was struggling to keep my balance when those familiar eyes scared me sober.

His honey blonde hair was spiked, the dark tips reminding me of barbed wire. Just seeing him hurt me, and I was absolutely petrified. I couldn't move, couldn't speak, I could hardly even breathe as his gaze pierced right through me. I dared to look up and immediately regretted it, because his eyes were waiting there to meet mine.

The brilliant blue that I had once fallen in love with, now only reminded just how dangerous they really were. What I used to refer to as diamonds when they sparkled, now left me drowning in their sea's rapids. The orbs were the darkest thing in the room as they focused on only me. Not the people surrounding us in drunken stupors, but me.

"Thank you." I mumbled quietly. I was surprised once he replied, I had hoped he wouldn't attempt to converse with me right now. Let's be honest here, I was a mess - a drunken disaster.

His husky voice sent shivers down my spine. "What are you doing here, Brooke?" The question was laced with worry and vexation.

I rolled my eyes, making sure he took notice. "What's it look like? I'm getting drunk," I cheered, hating how my words slurred together. This is what I get for drinking so profusely. 

Picking up a random cup, I tipped it back and prepared for the sensation of the warm liquid to numb away all of the pain enduring. But those feelings never came. I let out an audible gasp as he smacked the booze out of my grip, and onto the floor. "What the hell?" I yelled in aggravation. Why couldn't he just go away, and let me wallow around in my misery - or vomit - which ever came first.

"What the fuck are you trying to prove? That you can die of alcohol poisoning?" I had nothing to prove to anyone but myself. I wanted to prove that I was exactly what I had been acting like. Once I had come to terms with it, everything would go back to normal, right?

He gripped my wrists tightly, but before I could utter a single syllable, I was caught in his trance. Just standing here with him was surreal. "Whatever's going on, whatever's happened, I just wanted you to know that I'm not sorry about what I said, but I was right to tell you the truth. Before I go, I just want you to remember one thing..."

My heart ached for his voice to lull me to dreamland, or anywhere but reality. The reality of the situation left me embarrassed of myself - of what I've become - and I could see that he was too. 

What am I doing? I was pulled out of his spell by the tears that began to cloud my vision, I couldn't even stand looking at him without feeling guilty. This was my fault, not his. I'm the one who agreed to this. I was so determined to win, but why? Did I want to show Lindsey and everyone else that I could be the biggest slut? If the only thing I won was a title, then maybe I didn't want to play anymore...but second chances were just a puerile dream now. And I was no longer a child - no longer pure and unscathed.

"I will always love you." His words caressed me like a silk blanket. My insides were warm and fuzzy from something besides all of the alcohol and meaningless sex. I honestly felt love for once in my entire pathetic existence. He then kissed the top of my head softly and rested his forehead against mine. His hands were cupping my cheeks, causing my breathing to quicken anxiously. We were so close, our lips were only a mere inch apart. With such close proximity, all I had to do was lean forward the slightest bit, and they would be touching.