Chapter Five

Have you ever had one of those moments where everything moves in slow motion? Well, that's exactly what happened to me.

I was on Cole's bed, quivering against the wall when it all began. While Trevor was busy getting back on his feet, Cole was talking to me. "It's all going to be okay, I promise." He stroked my cheek and wiped away my tears as I hastily nodded.

"Trevor, man, your drunk. I don't want to hurt you." Trevor's jaw twitched, his brown eyes darkening. He took a step forward. "Trevor, I'm warning you." And this is where everything slowed.

Trevor threw a punch, but Cole was faster and dodged it. Trevor was all bulk, but Cole was pure muscle. I figured that out when Cole's fist collided with Trevor's face - completely knocking him off balance. He turned to look at me for a second when I cried out, "Cole look out!" Trevor punched him with a boastful laugh, and then he pinned him down on the ground.

"I've got you now, pretty boy." He rose a fist. "Oh, I'm gonna enjoy this." I winced as he began repeatedly hit him. I felt so helpless, I just watched it happen. Sure, I was screaming "stop it", but it didn't matter.

Swallowing all of my fear, I stood up and jumped off the bed, landing directly on his back.

With my hands balled into fists, I slammed them against his head as hard as I could. "Leave. Cole. Alone!" I demanded through clenched teeth.

"Get this crazy bitch off of me!" He was trying to throw me off of him, but I clung for dear life. My legs were wrapped around his torso when Cole squirmed out from under him, watching momentarily in amazement.

As soon as Cole was up, I made him fall straight on his face. I got up off of him, and then kicked him until I was worn out. Breathing heavily, I stared at him and huffed out, "fucking asshole." It was clear that the fall had left him unconscious, so thankfully we wouldn't have to take him down again.

Cole just stared at me, shock written all over his face. "Maybe you're not as innocent as you look." I smoothed out my skirt and folded my arms across my chest. I could feel hot tears drizzling down my cheeks. "Hey, don't cry," he said, instantly wrapping his arms around me.

I was crying into his shoulder as he stroked my brown hair and walked me to his bed. "Here, lay down. I'll have someone take Trevor home." I did as he said and nestled underneath the comforter, inhaling a brand new scent. I couldn't quite determine what it was a combination of, but I know I'd never forget it.

"Hey, Cole..." I started slowly.

"Yeah?" His tone was gentle and soft as he waited by the door.

"Thank you." With that, I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

*

My eyes fluttered open and I snuggled back into the blankets, not wanting to wake up. I was having the greatest dream. Suddenly I shot up, panicked.

Looking around, my heart began beating rapidly. This isn't my bed! Oh for fuck's sake, did I sleep over at Cole's? "Good morning," his voice startled me.

He was sitting on a stool, brush in hand, and paint on face. "Hi," I said awkwardly. I glanced at the alarm clock beside his bed, it read 11:26. My face flushed as I turned back to Cole, noticing he was only wearing a pair of basketball shorts. "Um, Cole...did we, uh, you know...?"

"No, you fell asleep last night and you looked so peaceful that I didn't want to wake you up. So, I went downstairs and slept on the couch." Butterflies swarmed in my stomach at the thought of him walking in to me sound asleep, and tip-toeing out so as not to wake me.