Chapter 2

5 years old

Niall was happy to at last be able to leave the house, after his mum had told him how important school was and that every parent to every student would know the wrongs every student did and how that would throw dishonor onto the family. Shortly said, she wanted him to behave.

Though Niall had never really understood what behave meant. Or what his parents meant was to behave. From what he understood he was following the rules quite good.
  Try your best to be kind and help others. Don't fight, respect elders  and don't make a mess. That was what behave meant right?

Not according to Niall's parents. Do as we tell you, don't think by yourself, was the same thing as behave. That's what they wanted their second, failed, son to be like. It was impossible though.
  How do you behave as a child if behave kind of means 'Don't be a child'. As said it's impossible.

Partly that was the reason Niall was so happy to get to leave his house and put the terrible happeings thath had happened in there behind. Because he never could behave his parents, mostly his dad, always punished him. Sometimes thay just punches, sometimes they screamed at him, locked him up in his room and didn't give him any food.
Yesterday his dad had beaten him when he asked for new pencils and books for school. That was what every child that was going to start school got, Niall thought. A new set of pencils, ereasers, notebooks. Right?
But his dad had gotten mad. "We don't have money to give you stupid books!" he'd screamed as he pushed Niall into the wall. The boy had gotten a small whiff of an awful smell he recogninced too well, when his father's breath had rinsed over him. Alcohol.

He had cried himself to sleep, hoping with all his heart that school would be the place he could be happy and learn how to get away from his parents' puncshes. Where he'd get friends, lots of them hopefully, and could once and for all feel safe.

After about fifteen minutes of walking Niall saw a large building and a school yard approaching infront of him. Just because he was so happy of finally getting thre he tmade a small, or for him quite hgh, jump up nto the air in joy. The joy though faded when he could still feel the traces of his fathers punches on his back and the stupid rush of pain made him stop jumping, and instead carefully walk, towards school.

In the classroom there were a lot of kids in Niall's age which made him happpy again, since he hadn't had many kids to play with at home (He was one of the only two kids on his block). Later he realized that most kids had their parents with them in the classroom. He wondered for a secound why his parents weren't here, but decided that it must be because they thought he was mature enough to go alone. That was good wasn't it?
His thoughts were interrupted when a tall man with glasses and a tight suit walked into the classroom. All parents fell silent and the man ordered the kids to choose a desk and sit down. Niall thought the man seemed quite kind and did as he said immediately, trying if his definition of behave would work with this man. He think it acctually did, for the man nodded at mhim and smiled a little before he turned to the rest of the class.

When Niall headed home from school, he acctually felt sad to leave. The man Mr. Delvin who was his teacher had been kinder than any adult he'd ever met and he really liked Mr. Delvin and was a little sad to leave him. He had talked with some of his classmates. They had talked back to him but it seemed like almost everyone knew another kid in the class and they made their small groups quite quickly. Niall hadn't really felt that he'd been included in one of those groups but still he felt more noticed than he ever did at home.
Everyone was leaving the school at the same time and there were many people puhing eachother to get to the school gaes first. Niall though thought that he was going quite strong in the back of the stream, but once again he was too lost in thought, this time about how he would talk about everything from school to life with Mr. Delvin and how he would find a real friend next day, that he didn't have enough control over his feet.

Once again he lay flat on his stomach and of experience he already for something hard to hit his body. This time it didn't, but he heard laughs. That came closer.
  Niall turned his head to see a few boys and two girls taking notice of him, laughing at him and starting to walk towards him. They seemed to be about his age but unlike him and most kids he'd seen today, they looked confident. Too confident.

"How's it going nerd?!" they shouted at him when they got even closer. Niall didn't answer, he never answered threathening people's quetions and instead he started to get up from the ground, but this time it too did seem to be a mistake.

"Are you deaf stupid?" A boy from the small group, with blonde hair and cold eyes asked and quickened his pace. A few secounds later he was just nches from Niall who'd just got up his knees.

"I was talking to you" the boy said in a little challangeing tone. Still Niall didn't feel like he wanted to answer. If he said anything it would only get worse, that's what happened at home anyway. And it didn't seem to be any different here.

The boy started by stamping his foot onto the yard's gravel, which made dust whirl up over Niall's t-shirt. When Niall didn't respond to that either he bent down and grabbed the boy by his collar pulled him from the ground and pushed him backwards.
Niall found himself soon standing with his back against a tree and this stupid other kid staring angrily at him. He would have wondered why this boy and his friends were so mean to him, like what had he done? But somehow he was so used to getting punished that he had stopped asking himself why. It just always seemed to result in 'No Niall acctually you haven't done anything wrong' which obviously must be the wrong conclusion.

  "I really don't like you" the other boy snapped at him and Niall thought he looked a little surprised by Niall's own reaction, which was a frown. Feeling like he had a tiny bit of advantage over the other boy Niall tried, which was quite unusual, to actually answer the other.
"Why?"
"You're just annoying, ya know. I don't understand you, and I don't like people I don't understand" Those words were deeper than Niall thought a five year old could understand, cause he didn't really understand himself, so his conclusion became that this other boy must be at least one year older than him.
  The blonde boy let go of Niall's collar and Niall let out a breath he hadn't realized that he was holding. The other guy turned to leave Niall but happened to push the younger's shoulder with such force that he fell to the ground again. Niall felt cold air blowing over his back and realized that his shirt must have been ripped open. When he heard quiet laughs from the other kids he started to get up again. But then something that would change him forever, happened.

  He heard another laugh and the teasing voice of the other blonde boy.
"You're so fragile? Your back is already blue you know!" He understood that his ripped shirt must have exposed the bruises he'd got last evening and felt an urge to find something to cover his back when something hit him.
  A kick. He felt a hard but though gentle kick in his side. All his muscles freeze when he waited for the pain to fade. It never had the time to fade before another hit reached his back. He felt the biggest most painful bruise on his back throb and couldn't help but scream from the pain. While all of this happened it wasn't the fact that he was being kicked once again that made his head spin. It was the fact that it wasn't his mum or dad hurting him. It was a kid. A kid about his age.

To be kicked, punched, hit or what ever you wanted to call it was something he was used to, and since he was still too young to know much about human rights and law, he thought being hit was something, emm...normal. Something most children experienced. But being treated like this by other kids made his sight on some things different.
  Niall would never kick someone like this. He didn't think other kids would either. Kicking others was a thing adults did, right? Apparently kids did too. And they weren't supposed to do that.
  Something about all this wasn't right he understood. But what? Why didn't it all make sense to him?

The ripped shirt made his parents very upset when he came home. They didn't ask how his first day in school had been or how the shirt had ended up both dirty and ripped. They just threw the shirt in the trash, pushed Niall into his room and told him to stay there. He did not get any dinner that day.