Seeing Double Chapter 16

Jacob’s warmth and everything reminded me of them. My parents and Adam. I loved them deeply, especially Adam. He was more of a brother to me. He was my best friend. I remembered the first day I went to school. I was picked on almost every day. But Adam was there. He was there to help the shy old me, to make friends, to study, everything. I loved my brother.

My parents were out most of the time but back during the weekends or early Mondays. Though they were not as close to me, but they still had this warmth. The same warmth I felt from Jacob.

Tears flow from my cheeks, I couldn’t contain it anymore. It had been too long since my tears flow. It was exactly like that night.

“Shh… Iris” I heard someone said.

I turned and found myself staring into Jacob’s eyes. Those beautiful iris-colored ones. Giving out that same warmth. My family.

He pulled me into a hug. I just stood there. I couldn’t think of anything to do right now. I was thinking too much about them again. Tears just continue to flow.

“Iris… its gonna be okay” Jacob said gently.

I took a deep breath and pulled out of the warm hug. We were on the roof again.

“You okay there?”

I nod.

“That’s complete bull” he said, brushing some stray tears from my cheeks.

Before I could respond he carried me up the ladder. And my fear of heights kick in again.

“Jacob! Let me down! I don’t like high places!” I screamed closing my eyes.

I feel him losing his grip on me. I opened my eyes. I was right in the middle of the damn platform.

“So iris, is there something you want to talk about?” He gave me a smile. Those genuine smiles that you see once in a while? I don’t know, that’s how I felt.

Should I tell him? Facing the battle alone wasn’t easy, maybe I needed someone with me. Maybe I wouldn’t feel so bad if I had someone with me. But I don’t want to drag him into my nightmare, he’s just kind. I don’t want to burden him with this. So what’s it going to be?

I looked up into the sky. The clouds were white and fluffy, it reminded me of cotton candy. The ones that I ate before everything change. I fought the urge to cry there and then.

I’m going to do it.

“It’s okay Iris if you don-“

“My family perished, their last moments were a tall tower something like this” I cut him off.

He didn’t say anything, I continued.

My parents were lawyers. Yes, both of them. That could have been the reason, they were always together, lovingly and never fought. They were the most perfect parents I could have ever asked for. But more importantly, I loved them.

Adam. My brother. Best friend. Dad. And the one I turn to everyday. He was there for me, always had been. I tell him the littlest things, it was a habitat I couldn’t grow out of. I loved him more than my parents. Maybe because he was like my substitute parent? And my best friend ever. He did had a model’s body and a super cute face but would reject every girl. It was weird. I tried asking him a couple of times but he’d say he’s not interested. I didn’t want to probe further. I had trust in him and so did he. He knew everything about me. A slightest fake smile to my fake ‘im okay’s. Yes he was, is and still will be everything I could ever want for a brother.

But it all ended. On a Sunday evening, I was lazing eating the thing I adore the most, cotton candy. When I received a phone call from an unknown person.

He’s voice seemed strangled, “ Meet me at the highest floor of the nearest mall”

Then muffled sounds of my parents and Adam, shouting ‘no’s and ‘don’t do it’.

I called the police.

I met the crazy guy on the highest floor with my family. Then just as when I thought they were safe, the crazy guy screamed, “I’d take your family like you did to mine!”

They jumped. Everything went black for me. I remembered Adam’s face. I could see him trying to smile, with a tear dripping from his cheek. Then nothing.

I couldn’t say anything more.

Jacob’s got me wrapped up with his arms. I closed my eyes. The picture of my family came back. With Adam, Mom and Dad waving goodbye to be. I waved but called out to them.

“Adam! Mom! Dad! Don’t go! I love you!” I screamed.

Adam ran up to me, giving me a huge hug.

“Bye ris. I love you too. You gotta look forward okay? I’ll still be there whenever you need me. I love you” He said before running off to Mom and Dad.

“Bye Iris, I’m proud of you” were the last things they said.

I closed my eyes. And darkness found me.

Another chapter done! Thanks for reading! Vote too! It only takes seconds(: Let me know what you think? How to improve at the comments? (: thanks again!

Today’s song: I’m still here –goo goo dolls

Awesome song if I do say so myself ;)