Middle Child

Don's POV

I was in the lab constructing some new upgrades for the Shell Raiser. My brothers and I had finished morning training and now we were on our own free time. It sounded like Mikey was watching cartoons, and I suspected that Raphael and Leonardo had joined him. Unfortunately, unlike my brothers I actually intended to get some work done today. The last time we'd been topside with the Shell Raiser, Raph had run out of ammo and we'd almost been blown sky-high. It occurred to me after that that it might be a good idea to have several backup defense mechanisms. Right now I was working on a blueprint for two medium-sized pellet guns, one attached to either side of the Shell Raiser. Of course, they required plastic pellets for ammunition, the kind they make at recycling centers. Which meant of course that we'll have to hijack them. Leo won't be too happy about that. Come to think of it Sensei won't be happy either.

"Whatcha workin on?"

I jumped out of my chair and whirled to face my addresser, blowtorch in hand.

Leo jumped back and held a hand up in surrender. "Whoa! Time to switch to decaf Donnie!"

I let out a sigh and stared at my older sibling inquiringly. "Leonardo. Is there something you needed?"

He brought his arm down and cradled the other arm gently. My eyes narrowed. "What happened?"

"I think I pulled a muscle. In my shoulder." Leo replied slowly.

"That's not like you. You're usually so careful. Sensei won't be too pleased." I said, guiding him over to sit on the edge of the examination table.

There was a soft murmur of agreement and a soft nod. "He wasn't." Leo admitted. He winced as I extended the arm and examined it.

I glanced down at him, with a gentle smile. "Looks like you won't be going topside for the next few nights."

Leonardo's frown deepened. "That's what I was afraid of." He muttered.

"Ice it a little bit and then take these." I handed him a couple of mild pain killers. "You can use it a little, but no more training, unless you want to be out of the action all week."

Leo sighed, but nodded reluctantly. My lips pressed into a mild frown. Leonardo hated missing training but in this case it's for his own good.

My older brother hopped off the table and I accompanied him to the door. I glared at him sternly, "Remember, rest!" I commanded just as the door opened and Raphael sauntered in, his signature smirk on his face.

"How's the arm?" Raph said goadingly, and Leonardo glared daggers at him.

"Shut up Raph!" Leo snarled, shoving my immediate older brother out of the way.

Raphael looked after him and I watched the tough guy mask fall from his face. He stared after Leonardo, hurt flashing briefly through his eyes, before he turned back to me, "Donnie?"

He didn't even have to elaborate. I knew exactly what he wanted. Reassurance. "Leo's arm will be fine. Though it'll take a couple days of rest."

Raph frowned and nodded with an almost unreadable expression on his face. I briefly wondered what thoughts were crossing that rather odd mind of his. His eyes glazed over as he moved beyond the here and now, to some other line of thought. The next thing I knew the rather dejected, and hurt look was back, and he realized I had been watching him. Fiery green eyes cooled and went flat as he recognized the silent understanding I emoted to him.

As he walked away it occurred to me that there had to have been a reason for his presence, and for Leo's rather caustic tone.

So the two of them had been training together, presumably sparring when Leo strained himself. Still, it was obvious Raphael felt guilty. I just hope Leonardo realizes it wasn't intentional. Otherwise Raph is going to dwell on it until he drives himself to injury. I went back to the blueprints, my thoughts still swirling around my older brothers.