In the Eyes of a Child

I was in the dojo, trying to prepare my mind for my daily meditation. Normally I am very focused and alert, but today is just one of those days. My sons recently passed their sixth mutation day and it has been very difficult to keep up with them. I never realized how much work raising children was, especially mutant children. Sometimes I think that their mutant form has given them even more energy than normal toddlers. My eyes opened as I completely lost my focus. My gaze fell to the framed portrait in the cabinet. I could feel my chest tightening in pain. I stood, lifting the frame gently from its place on the shelf, I brushed my fingers over the image, lingering for a moment on my beloved Tang Shen and my baby daughter, Miwa.

"You miss them don't you?" A little voice said from behind me.

On any other day I would have sensed his presence, I would have heard him enter the room, but as I said, today was just one of those days. I jumped, whirled around and reprimanded him immediately, my voice coming out much louder and harsher than I had originally intended. "Raphael! How many times have I told you not to interrupt my meditation time?"

My red-masked son cringed, small tears forming in his eyes. My face softened and I bent down so that I could be at his eye-level. "S-Sensei?"

"Yes, my son?" I prompted, waiting for Raphael to say what he wanted to say. I no longer blamed him for interrupting my meditation. I hadn't been successful anyway. I was now convinced that whatever the reason for Raphael's presence it must be important. Raphael understood just as well as the others that Sensei's meditation time was not to be disturbed.

The little emerald green turtle twirled his bandana tails nervously out of habit, as I had seen him do only once or twice before when something made him uncomfortable. "C-can I see it?" he said gesturing at the picture in my hand.

"Be very careful, my son." And he was. His little hands gripped the frame gently and he stared into the picture for a moment before speaking again.

"Father, are they..." his voice faded away.

"Are they what, my son?"

"Are they....dead?"

My eyes widened and I stared at him contemplatively for a moment before answering. "Yes, Raphael. They are dead."

"Father?"

"Yes, my son?" bright green eyes stared up at me, sparkling with curiosity and innocence. He held the painting up at me and I took it gently from his hands.

"What is death?" Silence filled the room and I stood, turning my back to him as I returned the picture lovingly to its place on the shelf. Raphael went on haltingly, "Leo says that it's the end, a point of no return. He says that it's like the end of a video game, except that when someone dies for real they can never use extra lives to return again."

"Leonardo is still young, as are you, Raphael. That may be what your brother has chosen to believe, but that does not mean that you will interpret it in the same fashion." The little green eyes looked up into mine, Raphael's head canted in confusion. I went on. "Not everyone sees death as an end, my son. Some choose to see it as a beginning."

Raphael looked even more confused than before. "But Sensei, if it's an end then how can it be a beginning?"

"It is very difficult to explain, my son and even more difficult to understand, especially at your age. One day, when you're much older you will understand." I put a hand on his head. He still looked confused, but he nodded and I could see the vast sea of emotion swirling in his eyes. Raphael is by far the most emotional of the four of them.