Chapter 4

FLASHBACK

The young five year old ran as fast as the wind which blew past her, a giddy smile plastered across her lips. Her arms outstretched like a bird's wings at flight. She felt confident, empowered, free...and definitely happy.

Her grandparents left for business for a whole month. The staff were easily evaded as she snuck out, seizing the opportunity.

Kagami had always wanted to explore the outside. She had only read about it in books, after all.

She had read of the vast blue expanse that encompassed the world. She read of the beautiful waves that lapped up the shores on sandy beaches. She read of countless plants and flowers, much different from the grass, cherry blossom, and bonsai which she had grown accustomed to.

Her grandparents had tried to satisfy her curiosity by planting more in their grounds but it was unable to suffice.

She was yet to witness them first hand.

It was everything she imagined and more.

The skies were vast and were an endless blue, speckled with fluffy white clouds. The ground was alive with flourishing fauna and not one was identical with the other.

She wore a bright green kimono embroidered with small yellow flowers and lined with ivory white whilst held in place by a silky pastel yellow obi. This was one of her loose-fitting kimonos which she was allowed to play in thus incredibly durable. Her raven hair was pulled into a low ponytail which made her locks reach just a few inches below the shoulder blades while her feet were clad in simple sandals.

She felt empowered with every breath of fresh air she took, ignoring the lazy afternoon heat that warmed her cheeks. She watched her feet as they navigated uncharted ground, her pulse quickening and pupils dilating as she felt the exhiliration pump in her veins.

No mere words could describe the beauty of the unfamiliar outdoors nor the thrill she felt.

Content at the distance of the gap she had created, she released a long sigh as she slowed down.

Panting, she sat down on the grass, stretching her legs in front of her and leaning on her hands. She stared up at the sky through the gaps in the canopy of leaves.

A blissfull smile made its way on her face, euphoria still present. She enjoyed the way her chest would heave up and down at a rapid pace, reminding her that she was alive.

She suddenly heard the sound of rushing water, piquing her curiosity. Fumbling slightly, she stood shakily from exhaustion.

Her azure eyes widened upon seeing a gorgeous river. It was lined by trees on both sides and seemed to shield it from sunlight. It was clear and flowed steadily despite some rocks jutting out. The most remarkable feature of the place would be the wide array of flowers that grew along the banks making her grin widen.

She rushed to a spot just next to a cluster of crimson poppies and dipped her small palms into the cool water and splashed it on her face. She then proceeded to cup it in her hands and drink.

Once satisfied, she stood up and scanned the surrounding area.

She let out a silent gasp when she spotted an unfamiliar object not far from where she stood.

She approached it curiously. Upon closer inspection, she realized it was a shrine. It was covered in moss and grass with dried leaves coating its surface.

Her grandmother had always told her how these shrines were dedicated to a deity and was to be tended to since the deities lived there. She saddened when she realized that it must have not been tended in years.

An idea had struck her and she considerably brightened up. She took out a small bag which she had tucked into her obi.

It was a small drawstring bag that contained a random variety of things which included a handkerchief, a white piece of paper, an apple, a bit of string, and a pencil.

Without wasting any time, she pulled back the sleeves of her kimono and tucked the edges into the back of her obi. She then fixed her ponytail, tightening it.

She sat in front of the old shrine, beaming at it happily.

"I'll be cleaning your shrine, Kami-sama! I hope you won't mind" she spoke happily without expecting a response.

She then began by pulling off the grass which sprouted from the crevices of the shrine and pulling off the dried leaves.
She carefully peeled off the moss which coated the small shrine with furrowed brows.

Taking the handkerchief and dampening it in the river, she proceeded to wipe off any remaining remnants of the mess coating the shrine.

She wiped the sweat that gathered at her brow with her forearm as she glanced at her work proudly.

The intricate shrine was made out of dark stone which was painstakingly adorned with carvings and niches.

Still feeling unsatisfied, Kagami sat down on the grass and proceeded to fold the piece of paper into a paper crane. Sweat beaded her forehead as she skillfully manipulated the paper to assume the shape of a crane.

She placed it on the shrine before bending down to pick up a variety of flowers. A few minutes later she held a vibrant bouquet of flowers that seemed to glow in the sunlight, tied together with the piece of string she had earlier. She then placed it next to the paper crane along with the apple.

She smiled before deciding to offer a prayer to the deity of the shrine.

She was just about to clasp her hands in prayer when her eyes alighted on a shadowy figure which seemed to linger between the trees. Curiousity bubbled up within her as she continued to gaze at the anomaly.

It was fairly hard to discern, what with the shadows the trees leaves' had cast on the ground. It was as if the silhouette of a person lurked in the shade.

Her face brightened considerably as she took a step toward it, only to be blown back by an incredibly strong wind.

Tripping on her own kimono, she fell backwards towards the river behind her...the wind whistling in her ears as she did so.