Chapter 16

A sudden sound broke me from my reverie, making me and the demon in front of me flinch in surprise.

My eyes desperately sought the source of the noise.

A flash of black and gold was all I saw before my vision granted me the ability to focus on a figure which shielded me from the Hebi.

Spotting the familiar gold-trimmed kimono and dark overcoat, I realized who it was as if the winds parted the meddlesome clouds like they would at night.

Frankly, I couldn't decide whether to feel relieved or distressed.

I couldn't see Shinkiro-san's expression but the Hebi's face contorted into one of pure hatred, anger, and shock.

"What are you doing here?" Shinkiro-san's voice was even and smooth but held a cold undertone reminding me of cold polished marble.

A gorgeously crafted sheathe caught my eye. It was a deep obsidian with hammered gold details, a long red tassel wrapped around the hilt of the katana, contrasting with the simple black and white handle. I knew that it had a menacing blade just below its elegant façade.

"I should be the one asking you that. What is your business here?" The Hebi's features reverted to the way they were when I first encountered him. Purple sclera and white irises narrowed and markings as prominent as ever... he looked murderous.

I feared for Shinkiro-san's life. I knew he was an Ayakashi...but what kind? What if he was weaker and would end up dying? His death would burden my conscience and it would be my last regret before my own life is taken away from me.

I was about to tell him to move and let me suffer my fate alone but he spoke as if reading my mind.

"My...you speak as if I were a weakling..." his tone was unimpressed and I didn't need to see his face to know that he had a blank expression as he spoke.

"Leave scum, you are not worth my time" the demon in front of us hissed after regaining his composure. He stood up to his full height in a relaxed manner but his voice spat venom.

The snake beside him was being literal and wasn't so subtle . It was hissing with its jaws open, venom dripping from its fangs and unto the forest floor making it fizz and pop dangerously. Its eyes no longer had a calm glint but shone with madness as it eyed the figure in front of its master.

"Why...such an ignoble pet you have there..." the young man in front of me commented non-chalantly, skillfully ignoring the earlier statement sent his way.

The snake hissed louder this time, causing venom to drip more, poisoning the ground beneath it.

"Quite rabid too...it suits you" Shinkiro-san chuckled emptily as if they were old friends and were having lighthearted banter.

"You're in my way you poor excuse of a yokai. I don't have the time to deal with the likes of you...your scent is faint and isn't very convincing, you weakling" the white haired man in front of us sighed irritably and snapped harshly.

"Are you even an Ayakashi? Perhaps you are all bark and no bite" the Hebi taunted off-handedly

Whatever trace of lightness fled from Shinkiro-san's being, as if a switch was flipped.

"You are not welcome here. Leave" Shinkiro-san's voice was grim and serious

The Hebi grinned maniacally, abandoning any sense of calm, an expression of insanity clouding his features.

"I'm here to take what's mine" was the reply, a thick amount of madness permeating from the Hebi's voice.

If it was possible, the man before me spoke in a darker tone.

"Yours you say? You must be mistaken...there is nothing here for the likes of you" was the harsh response.

"Pity. I have no business to discuss my matters with you. I came here for the human behind you" that being said, I clutched the dark cloak before me out of sheer and utter terror.

"Now leave" the tone was sharp and held promise of a slitted throat. The Hebi had a crazed grin on his face.

I barely had time to blink as the events unfolded.

I was held against a firm chest with strong arms wrapped around my frame holding me bridal style. The wind whipped around us violently causing me to shut my eyes.

A calming scent pervaded my senses causing me to crack an eye open. A blush painted my cheeks upon noticing that my face was in the crook of Shinkiro-san's face.

It darkened once I began to take note of his features.

His blonde hair flew back from the strong wind, revealing his vibrant crimson eyes which were framed with his thick pale lashes. His cheekbones were prominent from this angle and emphasized his godly features.

I gripped his kimono tighter, momentarily admiring the material beneath my fingers, afraid I would slip from his grasp.

I peered over his shoulder to see if we were pursued.

My eyes widened in awe as I witnessed shadows emerging from the inky darkness of the night and slowly solidified into dog-like figures.

Not dogs...foxes...

I corrected myself upon noticing the bushy tails, rounded ears, and lithe bodies.

They seemed to be made of dark smoke as their 'fur' shifted in the night breeze, their glowing crimson eyes slanted in a feline's fashion.

I burrowed my head into the crook of my savior's neck as I shut my eyes tightly, too dazed and confused to think straight, letting his steady heartbeat lull me to sleep.