Chapter Five

Chapter Five: "I'd like you to meet..."

Akira:

The car ride couldn't be anymore awful. He seemed so uptight but careless. He had a one hand hold on the wheel yet it didn't stop him from speeding. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"What's your problem?" He hissed suddenly.

"My problem is your driving skills." I muttered back, opening my eyes to glare at him before closing them again.

"What's wrong with the way I drive?" He questioned glancing at me as we came to a red light. I let out a slow breath and relaxed in my seat. Looking at the traffic, I wasn't thinking we were gonna be moving right away. How does he not see anything wrong with his driving? The speed limit is 35 yet he's at 80. I'm sure we've zoomed past some cops. Yet, they didn't bat an eyelash. Is he an exception? I found myself thinking and not answering his question. He didn't seem like he was gonna ask again. His attention was on something else.

"You're driving too fast." I stated duly. He slowly turned his head and stared at me with an emotion in his eyes that matched annoyance. He didn't say anything but scoffed at my comment, brushing it off easily. I crossed my arms over my chest and turned my eyes to the window, staring at the car beside us. It was a nice silver Dodge Charger with tinted windows. The person could be staring at me right now. I narrowed my eyes as if that would help me see through the glass. I nearly had an heart attack as Chresanto pressed his foot on the gas. The light had turned green and it seemed like he was driving faster than before. He was following the navigation system in his car to my house. He twisted and made his way around cars, switching lanes multiple times.

Before I knew it we were in the driveway. The car came to a sharp stop, jolting forward before jerking back and standing still. I took off my seat belt and slowly opened the door stepping out. I felt slightly dizzy. He drives like a madman.

"You're just not used to fast cars. Stop being a baby. Shake it off." He uttered walking ahead of me to the front door. I trailed close behind before pulling my keys from my pocket. I walked inside and held the door for him. Of course I didn't get a thank you. As soon as I shut the front door I heard the small patter of feet. I chuckled to myself as I locked the door.

"Auntie!" Liberty shouted as she came down the stairs. I noticed her hesitation when she spotted Chresanto who looked at Liberty with an expression I couldn't identify.

"Liberty!" I called out crouching down and holding my arms out as she ran to me. I hugged her tightly in my arms.

"I was wondering where you were." She muttered to me. I giggled before pulling away from the hug and giving her a smile.

"I'm sorry, I was running late." I explained before standing up and looking over at Chresanto.

"Liberty, this is Chresanto...can you say hello?" I asked pushing her towards him slightly. It was clear she was a bit frightened. It's no surprise. Chresanto is very intimidating and being much taller than liberty's small 5 year old stature made it worst. Yet, that's when something changed. Chresanto was smiling. It wasn't one of his smirks. It was a real smile.

"Hey there Liberty. How are you?" He asked nicely. I gaped at him in total surprise. What? This is the same guy that was practically insulting me on the way here? He's clearly sweet with children.

"I'm fine," Liberty answered sheepishly.

"The ribbons in your hair match with my tie." Chresanto noted. Liberty also became aware of it and giggled.

"They do! Are you copying me?" Liberty exclaimed smiling widely at him.

"I think it's you who's copying me." Chresanto retorted, making Liberty laugh even more. I was so taken in by the exchange between the two I almost didn't notice Sonia and Joy as they stood at the stairs case.