chapter 2

That was four years ago. We were all 13. That was the last time anyone saw him in person, well me and Chaz anyway.

       I still remember the day we all met each other. It was in preschool, our first day. I was four years old, and I had just said good-bye to my mom. “Bye Mommy!” I said running over to a group of girls that looked to be at least 5 years old. “Can I play with you?” I asked trying to grab the unoccupied Barbie doll. “No we don’t want to play with a stupid four year old.” The blonde haired girl said grabbing the doll from my hands. “Oh okay.” I got up and found a broken toy dinosaur, and went and sat down away from everyone, and played by myself. I was lying on my belly when I saw two pairs of feet walk up to me. I looked up and saw a blonde boy with green eyes, and a boy with brown hair and green eyes. “HI I’m Chaz!” the dark haired boy said plopping himself right in front of me. “And I’m Ryan!” the blonde boy said sitting next to the other boy. They had brought over some dinosaurs and a dump truck to play with. I looked down shyly. “Hi, I’m Courtney.” I started to play with the leg on my toy nervously. “Can we play with you?” Chaz had asked. Both boys looked at me. “Uhh, sure!” I said happily. We played for a while and we became close friends. We had moved on to play with the blocks, because Chaz got bored with the dinosaurs. We had a big wall of blocks set up, and Ryan had a proud look on his face. “Hey guys! Watch this!” Chaz said as he rammed a toy truck threw the wall of blocks, which crumpled from the impact. “Hey!” Ryan screamed, scrambling to fix the wall. When the blocks kept falling over Ryan started to wrestle with Chaz. I was laughing, when I heard the bell to the front door ring, signaling someone was here.

       A young lady came in with a boy who was crying.  She placed the boy on his feet, and he clung to her legs in a death grip. The lady bent down to the boys level, and she started to talk to him. “I’ll be wite back.” I told Ryan and Chaz. I started to walk over to the boy with the broken dinosaur in my hand. The boy had sandy blonde hair, and big brown eyes. Once I got to him and his mom he looked at me, tears flowing down his cheeks. “Hi, I’m Courtney.” I said holding the toy out to him. I shrugged my shoulders, “I know he is broken, but he is still fun to play with.” He stepped closer to me, and his mom smiled at me. He took the toy and flipped it around in his hands. “I’m Justin.” His tears had stopped, and he smiled at me. “Come play with me, Wyan, and Chaz”. I took his hand, and brought him over to the boys who now had an even bigger block wall. “Hey guys! This is Justin.” I introduced them and we went back to playing. When it was time to leave our mothers met each other and became friends too. It was one of the best days of my life.

       I smiled to myself, thinking about the memory. Now we are all 17 or almost 17. The only person who ever went on tour with Justin was Ryan. I wasn’t mad at Ryan because he isn’t the one who forgot about me and Chaz.

       I was flipping through channels on tv, when I came across the Ellen show. The camera zoomed onto the little side stage where I saw a few dark figures standing facing the back wall. I missed who she introduced, so I waited to see who it was. I heard the all too familiar voice, one that I hated with a passion, sing his single, baby. The figures turned around and I saw Justin. He had changed. He let the fame get to him, and he is not the same Justin Bieber I once knew. He had broken EVERY promise he made to me. One: he texted and called at first but after three months, it stopped. Completely. Two: he let the fame get to him. He thinks he is better than everyone just because he has millions of girls screaming his name. He is rude to people now too. And three: He forgot me. And it hurts worse because he forgot Chaz too, and he only remembers Ryan. He left me like my father did. But who cares right? They are just broken promises now. I flipped down a picture frame that contained a picture of us all, when we were 7. We were in the pool; I was on Justin’s back. I was missing my two front teeth, so when I smiled it looked funny.