Chapter XXIII

Chapter Twenty-Three

~~~~~~~~

"I demand to see her this instant!"

"She's sleeping, your Grace," Chris said.

"I don't give a damn!"

"Well I do. Let her sleep, dear, we'll speak with her when she wakes."

I rolled over in bed and went back to sleep.

~~~~~~

I woke up to one of two of the girls shaking me, and then I registered Henry's cries.

I stood up slowly. Both girls were awake. McKenzie had been the one to wake me, because Iris was trying to reach the spot on her back where the silver wolf was, rocking herself back and forth as if she were in tremendous pain.

Mine was just a dull ache, but Iris had never felt intense pain before, so it probably felt worse to her than it was.

Or maybe it didn't feel as bad on me as it should have.

I grabbed Henry from his crib and sat against the headboard of the bed in the zombie-like mode of half-awake-half-asleep.

I the middle of feeding Henry, there was a knock in the door.

"McKenzie, go get that please." She jumped up and skipped over to the door, unlocked it, and pulled it open.

It was Lilly. "You have company."

Thinking back to the earlier conversation, I expected the king guy. I was wrong.

"Who is it then?"

She didn't say anything for a moment. "It's Levi."

"What? I told him I didn't want to see him!"

I stood on my feet, Henry tight in my arms.

"Where is he? Why the hell is he here?!"

"Someone told his Grace that he was your mate, and since you have a child, he assumed it was his. He was wondering why your mate wasn't here helping raise Henry."

I stomped to the doorway. "Stay with Iris, she's in pain."

When I reached the stairs, conversations drifted up to my ears.

"My sister doesn't want to see you!"

"I don't care! I was called here. I'm seeing her whether she likes it or not."

"If she doesn't want to see you, leave. She's already told you she doesn't want you in her life."

"She has a child! She needs my help!"

"The child isn't yours then?" The asshole's voice came through between their arguing.

There was a pause. "No, it's not mine. But she still needs my help raising it!"

"Why does your sister have a child that isn't by her mate? That's a crime punishable by death!"

"Yeah, well, it's not like she's been whoring around! You'll not disrespect my sister, your Grace. I don't give a damn who you are. This asshole is going to leave my property this instant."

I was having fun listening, but I figured I should go down and say something.

I made my way down the stairs and saw that everyone was around the front door.