Chapter XVII

Chapter Seventeen

As Nietzsche wrote, "Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man."

"Werewolf women are only pregnant for four months, sweetheart, so that means the...fetus...will grow faster in your womb than a normal human child would in their mother's womb. A week along, it should already have a form." The woman who explained this was not my mother. My mother sat on the bed beside me and held my hand, looking at the older woman intently.

We were hoping like hell that I was not pregnant. If I were, I had no idea what I'd do. However, I knew what the chances of me being pregnant were. He came down there every night, used no precaution, obviously, and I know for a fact that he didn't pull out. Why would he if he were trying to get me pregnant?

When she looked at the monitor beside us, which was also turned away from us, her brows furrowed in concentration, and then a look of pity crossed her face.

My head sank back into the pillows, and I felt numb.

I knew, of course, that there was no possibility that I wasn't pregnant. I'd had hope, and now those hopes were shot down.

"What are you gonna do, sweetheart?"

"I don't know." It came out as a whisper. I knew I had to think hard about this, long and hard; I had to be serious about this.

"There are three choices, honey."

I shook my head. "Two," I said interrupting her. I couldn't terminate a human life. I couldn't do it, no matter how hard this was going to be for me. I couldn't kill an innocent for the acts of a few evil men. "There are two.... Termination is automatically out."

She nodded. "All right, then. Two. You can have this baby and raise it. Or you can have this baby and have someone else raise it. The choice is yours. We won't judge you whatever your decision is. We understand." No, you don't, I thought.

I raised my mother's rape child. She couldn't handle the thought of looking at an innocent child and seeing the face of evil anyway.

Neither could I.

"Let me think about it." She nodded. The women cleaned up and left the room, leaving only my mother behind.

"I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so, so sorry." She turned and left.

Several minutes later Zak came in holding Iris and Chris and Lilly followed them.

He set Iris down on my abdomen gently.

"Are you alright?" I took a moment to answer because I considered the question.

"No. But I will be." Once this child is out of me.

I cried for days after that, at any random point in the day. I cried for the turn of events my life has turned to, and I cried because I couldn't get the images out of my head, no matter what I did.

Time is running out. I have a month left until this child is born, and I know what I will do.

I cannot live with this child knowing that I will see the face of the man who raped me. I cannot live with this child knowing I cannot love it as a child should be loved. It is best if this child is raised by someone other than me.

A month to go, and someone shows up on Chris's land.

He showed up at the door of the mansion, fuming, for even I, in a room at the top floor, could hear his yelling.