Chapter 6:Cat fight

"What?" I questioned, dumbfounded and unable to move from my spot to hand her another book. She realized I was trying to process this information but she sighed and watched me. "Graves chose you as his blood slave. I wasn't positive until he announced your presence this morning, and he has never done that for a slave before," She explained. She moved away from the ladder and took my hand, urging me to pay attention to her every word.

"Master Graves has never chosen a blood slave, and Grace was obsessed with him so he picked her to fill that position until he chose a true blood slave, which in this case, is you." My brain felt like it was going to explode from all this information but I couldn't even utter a word. All I could think was he had taken me, and I was going to be here forever... I would never go home.

"Ember, I need you to answer a question to know for sure if you're his blood slave," Beth paused, and placed her hand on my upper arm. I stared at her, unsure what to say. Yes? No? I don't know! I don't want to be any ones blood slave! Her mouth opened, then closed, unsure of how to approach the subject. "What is it?" I asked, the words barely even formed into a whisper, but I managed to talk, my tongue dry and pressing against the roof of my mouth.

She groaned, turned away from me, to climb back up the ladder where our unfinished pile of dusty books sat. "What is the damn question!" I shrieked, my patients running thin, and my anger rising. Maybe there was a chance she was wrong and I was just another slave who could leave in ten years to start over. Someone who didn't have to stay with a murderer the rest of her life. Beth ignored my screech for a moment and finished dusting the shelf.

I stood there, waiting for her response, but she continued our work till the entire shelf was finished and jumped down from the ladder. Aggravated, I picked up the ladder and folded it down so we could carry it, but before I could pull it through the door, she stopped me with one hand on my shoulder. "When he bought you at the auction, did he pay an obnoxious amount of money?" She demanded, and I muttered unfortunately "yes." Her face furrowed up in worry, and then her face twisted into an unbelievable amount of anger.

"Is the reason you freaked out last night when we talked about how to become a blood slave because he kill your family?" My blood went cold, and I forced my eyes away from her, away from the memories of my mother lying in my backyard, covered in muddy blood. My eyes burned, angry that I held back my tears and Beth yanked the ladder, pulling me with her through the door. "That fucking bastard made you his blood slave alright."

Beth didn't say a word the rest of the morning. We did our work the way she instructed and we did nothing else. No talk of her guy friends, no talk of my terrible fate alongside her, but despite my anger and pain I was relieved that Beth was going to be there with me through it all, because we were both screwed either way. We both were doomed with a fate of slavery until the day we die. That comforted me a bit despite everything else that sucked.

"Alright everyone, time for Lunch! You have ten minutes to finish your list of chores and report to the cafeteria for lunch," Grace's repulsing voice boomed throughout the halls. Beth was leading me down more identical hallways the color of pale blue, Doors lined the walls with what I guessed were rooms to clean but instead of following along with the other slaves, Beth lead me down another set of stairs wells. (I am really starting to despise them.) She stayed quiet as expected, but it was like she was leading me down to the dungeons, or cells. The walls soon switched from pale blue to the stone bricks like the lounge room and the cells.

"Where are we going Beth?" I questioned, confused and intrigued because despite the fact of how I hate those cells, I wanted to know every inch of this place so I had a chance of getting out. She glanced at me sideways, before she returned her gaze back on the hall.