Build Up

I am standing in a house. A house which is different to what I'm used to. It is a small suburban house in a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio. Not all of the neighborhood was the white picket fence American Dream.

My limo out in the driveway stuck out like a sore thumb. My grandfather hired a bodyguard for this trip so I would feel more safe travelling alone. I was able to convince the bodyguard to stay inside the limousine. This was a family matter I needed to deal with. Alone.

I walk into my brother's home. Something I never thought I would say or do. But hey, it's life and it somehow got me here to this point.

"Thank you for meeting with me." I say nervously while clinging onto my bag.

I start to space out as I look around my brother's home. I try my best to not have my nerves get the best of me.

"Would you like something to drink?" Alexander asks me.

"No thank you." I quickly reply.

"Come sit with me in the dining room." Alexander says. "Follow me."

I follow my brother into his dining room. I take a seat at the table, placing my bag in my lap.

"So mind telling me how you got contacted by my parents' lawyers?" I ask Alexander.

"Sure." Alexander says. "So my mother got a call from the lawyers I believe a day or two after your parents passed."

"They wanted me to do a DNA test." He continues.

"I remember." I interject. "My lawyers wanted my DNA too. I'm guessing my father insisted on it before he died."

"The lawyers told me that you would bring the results." Alexander says. "Do you have them with you?"

"Yes." I say while going into my bag. "I haven't even looked at them myself yet. I've been so anxious to look."

"Wait." Alexander says. "You don't know."

"I just had a feeling to wait." I told him. I took out the manila envelope and placed it on the table between the two of us.

It was true. There was a voice in my head telling me to wait.

After having room service for breakfast this morning I called Percy slightly panicking and he told me everything was going to be okay.

Then on the drive over here I got a call for Phillpe saying, "It would be a life changing day and to know that this was worth the wait."

"The only people who know are the doctors and my parents' lawyers." I say.

The manila envelope sat on the table between Alexander and I. Both him and I were anxious to open it up and read it.

"Ready?" I ask him.

Alexander takes and breath and sighs before saying, "Let's do this."

I pick up the envelope and attempt to open it.

"No I'll get a pair of scissors from the kitchen." Alexander says quickly getting up. He quickly runs over to the kitchen island and grabs a pair of scissors before coming back to sit with me.

"You cut it." I say. "I'll take the papers out."

Alexander cuts open the envelope and passes it over to me.

I slowly take the papers out.

I hand Alexander the one with his name on it. I start to look through mine.

"Want to just put them down next to each other?" Alexander says.

"Sure." I say as I take out a highlighter.