Chapter Seventeen

XVII

The next morning, I awoke with half of my family in my bed. Calix’s arm was draped over my side, his face buried so deeply into my pillow I was sure he couldn’t breathe. And, curled up against my abdomen was Sabel, using my arm for a pillow with his back pressed against me. Aureate was under Calix’s other arm, her mouth hanging slightly open.

And, when I cried, it wasn’t because I was being self-indulgent. I cried because, even if I did constantly complain about my siblings, they had been the ones who had stuck by my side through the worst. As cheesy and unoriginal as it sounded.

“You’re not crying again, are you?” Sabel whispered, turning over in my arms to face me. “I’m sorry we’re taking up so much space, but Calix wouldn’t leave.”

I kissed the boy’s forehead. “You didn’t threaten him again, did you?”

Sabel puffed out his cheeks. “You always assume the worst.”

“And?”

“He didn’t go for it.”

Calix rested his head on my shoulder. “I do believe your beloved sister was a bit more important than my hair color, Bel.” He chuckled.

“Don’t call me that!”

I sighed. “If you’re going to start screaming, you’re getting out.”

“But—”

“Ah!” I cut him off. “I think it’s time for you to get ready for the Academy, young man. Won’t you be graduating, soon?”

Sabel looked as if he were getting ready to reply, but was instead cut off by Aureate. “Not if he doesn’t bring up his grades, he won’t.”

The boy stuck out his tongue. “My ninjutsu is fine!”

“But!” Calix intervened, “you need more than brawn to become a ninja.” The eldest of us groaned, sitting up. “I’m going to take a shower,” he kissed Aureate’s forehead before climbing over her. “We had training today with Nozomu, but I don’t think it’d really matter if you skipped. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.”

“I’m not going to ski—”

“Take a day off,” Calix waved a dismissive hand. “You work harder than Surge and I put together.”

I turned away, trying not to show that his name bothered me.

It was minutes later when my mother called Aureate and Sabel to the kitchen, proceeding to rush them to the Academy. I was sure she’d spend her day in the village at the flower shop, or perhaps visiting Surge’s father. She enjoyed mundane things like that.

And, when I was sure everyone was gone, I followed wherever my stomach took me; on a perilous journey through the kitchen’s pantry, not caring about the calories that I knew I would hate myself for consuming, later. As Calix had stated before, I worked harder than both of them, I was allowed a lazy day.

A day in which I would spend three working off.

And, just when I had situated myself on the couch, getting ready for the long, and definite depressive day ahead of me, there was a knock on the door.

I groaned, setting the ice cream on the coffee table—next to the packet of cookies and a family sized bag of chips I had full intentions on eating, by myself (so, so many calories)—and seemingly crawled my way to the door.  I had originally suspected a grinning Sabel on the other side of the door, with a bashful hand rubbing the back of his head, hoping that I’d let him stay home with me. Or maybe even a blushing Calix, because he’d managed to have forgotten his key, again.

But, I guess somewhere hidden, deep behind my sudden feelings of contempt and bitter thoughts, I had hoped it’d be Surge. And, somewhere behind the bile that rose up my throat must have been the fluttery feeling I used to get around him. Because, Surge is definitely what I got.

“Surge?” I felt the familiar stinging feeling behind my eyes, but did my best to choke it back as I tried to look more scornful than hurt. “What are you doi—”

I never did get to finish my sentence, for the surprisingly soft lips of Surge Igarashi swallowed my words as he pushed his way through my doorway. His body slammed into mine as my back met with the wall, and almost as if on instinct, my hands were treading a familiar path through his hair as his palm pressed against the back of my neck.

I didn’t miss the taste of alcohol as his tongue pushed against mine, mixing with his usual boyish taste of chocolate. And, for the moment, I didn’t mind—the feeling of his tongue ring sending a shiver down my spine.

I remembered Surge’s hand tracing its way down my back, pausing momentarily at my behind before hooking behind my leg to lift me up. The boy wrapped me around him, roughly pushing against me until I was sure I’d have scrapes on my back.

His kisses soon extended to my jaw line, reaching just to my pulse point on my neck—a soft spot that he had always been fond of nipping at. I let out a soft noise, leaning my head against the wall.

“Surge,” I breathed. “Surge, you’re drunk, aren’t you?”

I felt his tongue drag under my chin until he reached my ear. “Does it matter?” I had to bite my lip to keep any noise from coming out.

My fingers harshly gripped at his hair, pulling until his forehead rested against mine. His eyes were bloodshot as looked as if he had been viciously rubbing at them—the bags under his baby blues confirming my theory that he hadn’t of slept, yet. The hold that I had on his hair grew tighter.

“You disgust me,” I growled, my grip becoming stronger when he tried pulling away from me. “What the hell do you think you’re doing? You just broke my fucking heart—what gives you the right to come to my house, drunk—what gives you the right to kiss me?”

Surge’s hands on my waist dug into me, to the point where it had begun to hurt. But, I didn’t flinch. His chest was still pressed against mine, and I could feel his hot breath hitting against my swollen, abused, and busted lips. I could feel the angry pounding of his heartbeat.

Reluctantly, I unwrapped my legs from around his waist. Our foreheads and chests remained touching, but nothing else.

And, then, he stepped back.

And, then, I punched him.

Surge didn’t look at me as he walked out of my house. But, just as sure as I was about the blood leaking from his mouth and down his chin, I was positive about the tears that had swelled in his eyes.

I sank to the floor when the door slammed, and for the first time ever, I broke a promise I had made to myself. I cried. I cried so hard I couldn’t breathe.

!*~*~*~*~*!

Ugh. Just ugh. Champion. Ugh. Idk how long as it been? Too long? Chyeah.

Has anyone seen any Studio Ghibli movies that perhaps they would like to recommend? I watched Howl’s Moving Castle for the first time ever last night (omgomgomg) and have honestly never seen any other movies by them?? Like mom what you raised me wrong. I even made my mom watch it.