Chapter One

I

Surge groaned, pushing back his oddly colored hair.  As always, the boy was complaining, his chapped lips pulling back into a sneer. “This is so stupid,” he groaned, seeming to almost crawl forward. 

I rolled my eyes, blocking yet another one of Calix’s attacks. Clumsily persecuted and poorly aimed. “You know, it wouldn’t hurt if you trained, too.”

The boy snorted, flicking a wrist in a way only he could pull off. A little disturbing, but it’s who he was. 

“C’mon, Surge,” Calix tried, his usual boyish grin falling on his teenage face; one that was so similar to my own. “S’not so bad.”

“Easy for you to say! You’re the only person I know who can actually go against Champion! She’s a monster, man.” My lips pulled down into an easy frown, and with the accusation snagging at my attention, I had forgotten what I had been doing. Calix was flat on his ass before he even had the time to reply. 

“I dunno,” Calix laughed, rubbing the back of his head in an awkward shame. “She still seems to have the upper hand on me.”

I snorted, holding out my hand to help him up. But, being the ‘man’ that he was, my older brother ignored it, choosing to drag himself off of the dirty ground. 

Surge huffed, crossing his arms next to Calix. “Dude. She’s younger than you.”

Calix playfully hit him in the side of the head, then acted as if he were about to hit him, again. Boys. “Just because a little girl can beat my ass, doesn’t mean I won’t kick yours.”

“Who you callin’ little?” I called, making my ‘big’ brother cower besides the punk, Surge’s laugher resounding around us. 

Calix slapped Surge in the back of the head, again, provoking the other boy to tackle him to the ground. Well, at least the slacker would finally get some training. 

But, as for me, I was going home. It wouldn’t be long before they gave up and followed me. 

Something I had adjusted to from being with these idiots for so long. But, as for my wallet…that wasn’t as flexible as me, unfortunately. 

~       ~       ~                                                                                                 ~       ~         ~

“Where are the boys?” My mother asked, her dark hair pulled into her signature bun. It was messy, stray strands curling around her neck and forehead. But, I suppose when you had so many kids, there really wasn’t any time for fussing over your hair. 

Although it was beautiful, it was generally left unkempt. 

“Training, Mama.” The older woman pulled an impressed face, placing a bowl of hot soup on the table. Something she had found marked down at the market, I was sure. She hated using the money Calix and I brought home. Says it’d was silly to buy anything that almost cost us our lives. Even if it was the only income brought into the house, she hated using it. Said nothing was worth losing us over. 

Typical mother response. But, what else could we have done? Neither of us had ever been particularly smart or talented, being a ninja was the only thing we were ever really capable of. And, even though it made her sick, she knew there was no other way. 

So, she resorted to being stubborn. 

But, it wasn’t like she was the only mother worrying. We lived in a ninja village. Ma had the other mothers to keep her occupied. 

“Maybe your brother will follow in your footsteps, and get a higher ranking?” She lightly joked, sitting opposite of me. I shrugged, knowing she didn’t really mean what she said. Not really. To her, it was bad that I had been made jounin at such an early age. Higher rankings meant riskier missions. To have both of her eldest children be named jounin could very easily be described as her worst nightmare. 

Mothers. 

But, soon, the woman’s worrying was soon replaced as Surge came sailing through the front door. Literally. 

Quickly, my mother jumped out of her seat; alarmed, she scurried towards the groaning boy. But, as she knelt down besides him, the older woman fell back, once again caught off guard as Surge jumped from his lying position; a smile plastered on his face. 

“Surge!” She scolded, almost as if he were her own. Although, most times, it did seem like it. The boy sent her a simple smile, seemingly oblivious to the fresh cut above his eyebrow. 

He was too reckless for his own good. 

“Sorry Mama K!” He yelled, running back outside. Mother, still sitting on the floor, watched his retreating back- momentarily frozen. But, as yelling and perceived struggling was heard outside, Mama’s motherly instincts kicked in. 

“No, stop that! Calix- don’t you dare- Surge, no- stop that!” The older woman ran outside, leaving me to succumb to the sudden bursts of laughter. 

 !~*~*~*!

new story obvs. I'll post a picture of Champion on the side~ c: