Chapter Fifteen: To the End

King Harrison sat in his study with his wife that night, muttering how stupid of a father he was to betray Edith like that. “I shouldn’t have let them be alone, Belinda!”

The Queen, hearing her name, rushed to her husband’s side to rub his shoulders. He had been consumed with his thoughts for hours and she had just been preparing a light dinner for the both of them to eat—it seems the king was not prepared to exit his study. “Oh, honey, you did what you thought was best. I understand why you would think such a thing would have worked.”

“Benedict…oh my son is a disgrace!” he pounded his fist on the table. The mere thought of his son doing something so foolish made him cringe inside. Edith had always been precious to him; in truth, he had hoped that Edith and Benedict would be a happier couple than with Adella.

“His heart is set, Harry. If you were in his predicament, who would you have chosen?” she gently removed the crown from his head to comb through his gray hairs.

“Edith,” he answered gruffly. She smiled sadly and tried in vain to smooth the wrinkles on his forehead.

“Why would you have chosen Edith? Think like your son, Harry.”

“Because…she is my wife, and it is the right thing to do.”

“Exactly… our son Benedict chose love over duty. Although his decision is destined to hurt many people, I can’t hate my son for choosing the woman he loves.”

“I just…I can’t look at him right now.”

“The same for me, Harry. I am ashamed that I let the pride for the crown force our son into a marriage he wasn’t ready for.”

King Harrison threw his crown against the wall with enough force that it would have cracked if it were not made of such fine quality. The truth in his wife’s words hurt too much.

“The papers are all here, Edith,” Arnold handed her a thick envelope before plopping down on the other end of the couch. He loosened his tie and shook off his jacket, all while waiting until she finished perusing through the documents. She nodded in gratitude before tossing the envelope onto the coffee table.

“Thanks, Arnie. Don’t be so sad that this is all happening, ok? It’ll blow over soon.”

He scoffed, leaning back and folding his hands behind his head. “I know that. Antis is a really small country, after all. Your wedding was only broadcasted in this country anyway. I’m actually happy. Now I can marry you.”

“Shut up. If Charice hears you saying such things, I’d really have to go into hiding.”

He waved her warning away. “Speaking of hiding, why would you choose the most obvious place in the world?”

“My house?” she giggled. “Benedict would never search here, especially after I had my father show him the goodbye letter I wrote for them.”

“He punched Benedict, you know.”

Edith pursed her lips and buried herself deeper in the blanket. “You know what I don’t understand, Arnie?”

He turned his attention away from his cellphone to look at her. “Yeah?”

“Why everyone is going to such lengths hating him. I don’t hate him at all.”

“Because he’s an idiot for hurting you.”

“Arnold—“

He held out his hand to stop her. “No, hear me out. This guy marries you, gets lovey-dovey with you, promises he’ll learn to love you, and then when he hears his ex is pregnant, gets back together with her? He’s an idiot. Didn’t she abandon him and you were stuck to pick up the pieces? That means they’re both idiots. Ha. They’re destined for each other.”