Chapter Fourteen: To Be My Own

Chapter 14: A Date

                “Eddy, look!” Benedict waved the tickets in front of his wife’s face. She swatted him away with a chuckle.

                “What is it now, Ben-Ben?”

                Ignoring the incredulously ridiculous name she had conjured, he plopped down next to her on the sofa and held out the tickets for her to see. She glanced at him before taking the ticket with her own hands. “The aquarium?”

                “Not just ‘the aquarium’,” he mocked. “The aquarium! The legendary aquarium of Antis!”

                “Is it really that great?” she mused, crossing her legs. Edith held up the ticket in the sunlight. “Maybe Arnold would like to go—“

                “No. This is a date. C’moooooooooooooooonnnn!”

                Edith laughed at his childish behavior and wrapped her arms around him. “I’ve never seen you act this way before.”

                “Well, you would understand if you ever went to the aquarium.”

                “When do you want to go?”

                “Tomorrow.”

Ooo

                “I’m sorry I have to cancel!” Edith clasped Adella’s hands and kissed them both. “It’s my first date. Ever.

                Her best friend removed her hands from the vice grip and grimaced. “Fine. Whatever. It’s not like I wanted to watch the circus with my best friend!”

                “I’m sorry! But he really wants to go tomorrow! I’ll make it up to you, I promise!”

                After a moment of glaring, Adella heaved a long sigh and crossed her arms above her swelling stomach. “Fine! But you have to promise to do three things for me.”

                “Anything!”

                She pulled out a pen from her purse and jotted down a list on a nearby napkin. After she had finished, she drew a line at the bottom and passed both the pen and paper to her.

1.       Be there for the birth of Jana Marie.

2.       Be willing to babysit anytime for the next 6 months for Jana Marie. ANYTIME.

3.       Be Jana Marie’s godmother.

Edith looked at her best friend and bit her lip. “You…really mean that?”

Adella shrugged. “I have no one else. You’re my last option, don’t you forget that!”

“Mhm. Sure.”

“No. Really.”

“Uh huh.”

“Shut up.”

“I love you.”

“Gross.”

Oooo

The royal couple entered the aquarium with several bodyguards and a small crowd gathered at the entrance to see them. After all, no one had seen the royal couple since the arrival of the Charlemagnes (a certain person had restrained Edith from going outdoors with her husband). Edith held onto Benedict’s arm and smiled at the crowd that gathered while Benedict impatiently led his entourage to the entrance of the aquarium.