Chapter Thirteen: The Charlemagnes

Edith bit her lip nervously as dinner was served. Apparently, the arrival of the infamous Charlemagnes had sparked the appearance of her parents, as well as Benedict’s mother and his brother, Bryce. On her left sat Arnold with his ever-present charming smile and desire to attend to her whenever possible, and on her right sat Benedict, who seemed more than willing to show his distaste for the younger boy. The Queen sat at the head of the table since her husband couldn’t make it that night and was making amiable conversation with the other adults.

Benedict whispered in her ear, “Darling, why do you seem…tense?”

Edith shook him off and hissed back sharply, “Why do you think?”

Before he could reply, he nearly screamed in fury when he saw Arnold cutting her steak for her. Edith simply bit her lip and used one hand to stop Arnold and the other to hold back her husband. “Now, Arnold… that isn’t necessary.”

He responded with an adoring smile, like a child eager to please his mother would use. “Anything for my lifesaver.”

Edith’s parents cast a wary look in their direction. However, Queen Belinda wouldn’t let such a comment slip through. She had seen enough of the young boy’s googly eyes to make her extremely suspicious of him and his parents, who obviously were still enamored with the thought of their son being Edith’s husband. Clearing her throat, she leaned back slightly and rested an elbow on the arm of the dining chair with her chin tilted slightly upward.

Oh, so now the Queen wants to flaunt her supremacy, Edith thought wearily. She nitpicked the already sliced portions of steak Arnold had cut for her. Belinda wandered her gaze over the Charlemagne family. Mrs. Charlemagne was a tall, curvy woman with tan skin and black hair. Her blue eyes were glittering with admiration and intelligence, something she seemed to share with her son. Her hand was resting on the arm of her husband, a man with about the same height as she (a rough estimate considering they were all seated) and a receding hairline. Everything about his stature screamed ‘Military’, and she wondered if she had the privilege of meeting him before. Cool grey eyes met hers; he had caught her studying them. Belinda deliberately kept her gaze long enough to appear aloof about being caught and asked, “Lifesaver, you say?”

Arnold’s neck nearly snapped when he realized the Queen was addressing him. “Yes, Your Majesty. Edith saved my life many years ago. Ten years to be exact.”

“Do enlighten us, dearie,” Mrs. Charlemagne cooed in her British accent.

Arnold beamed at his mother. “Don’t need to be told twice, mum dear.”

Bryce silently gagged until his mother elbowed him. Arnold seemed to ignore the charade and sighed dreamily. “Well it all started like this. It was a sticky, summer day at my villa. Our house is located on a cliff overlooking the lake, just beside the waterfall. Now, the Moores and the Charlemagnes were friends for years, centuries even. It was prophesied that the two houses would become one, you know.”

He shot a suggestive glance to the woman squirming next to him and continued. “One day, while the two families were spending some time together, Edith’s older brother decided it would be a good time to swim. My two older sisters were in love with the idea and tried to get dear Edith to change as well. However, the beauty wouldn’t budge, choosing to stay by my sick side until my fever had passed away. Oh, she was really a lovely nurse. Anyway, after much convincing—well, threatening, from her brother—she was swept away from my side and taken to the lake with the other children. I, of course, couldn’t stand the thought of leaving poor Edith with the older, rougher children; and gathering my strength, I followed after them. I saw Edith and the others jumping along some rocks near the waterfall and tried to join them. My sisters were adamant about remaining on the shore, but being my nine-year-old stubborn self…I didn’t listen. I was never very good with swimming, and anyone who has come to the villa can testify to that.”