Chapter 5

Natalie's POV

My mind was playing every single scenarios that I might encounter in the hospital. There's this scene that she's just lying on the bed patiently waiting for me. There's one scene were she's hooked in all kinds of machine to stay alive and there's the worst scene of all was that when I reach the hospital only to find them covering her body.

A lone tear escaped my eye.

"It's going to be okay." Nick said as Em comforted me at the back seat. Good thing Brad was still there so he offered to drive us the the hospital. We are also grateful for Mrs. Robinsons for offering to watch after Maddy. She said that the hospital is not a place for a child. "Mitch is strong... don't worry."

"But... but..." I tried but the word won't come up. As the we neared the hospital, my imagination on Mitch's condition worsen. "Please be safe..." I managed to utter.

"What did the caller said?" Em inquired. "Did she tell you any details?"

"Nothing in particular... just to come to the hospital because Mitch has been shot and apparently I'm her emergency contact and have the power of attorney for her health." It was the first time that I found out that Mitch placed me as her emergency contact since we never discussed it. Then it made me wonder when did she made that decision. Is it before or after we were engaged. But no matter when, I'm still glad that she trusted me with her life to make any medical decisions. "Then she hang up."

"What kind of nurse hang up after notification?" Brad commented after shifting gear and speeding up.

"Maybe she's new and unfamiliar." Nick replied. "Anyways, we are near and Brad, please slow down a bit as we don't want to join Mitch at the hospital you know."

"Easy bro!" Brad said. "You know that I'm a great driver." Nick just shook her head as Brad ran a yellow light. If it were me, I would have slowed down than sped up even if it's an emergency like this.

Another more block and I could see the hospital. There, mental images of Mitch in worst possible condition came back. Brad stepped on the break in front of the emergency drive way. "You all go and I'll just park. Nick, text me where can I find you." We all nodded and alighted the car simultaneously.

I half ran half jogged towards the reception. "I'm here to see Mitch please!" I almost scream. "Michelle Torres! Someone called me and told me that she's been shot!"

"Hold on a moment ma'am, let me check." The nurse then typed something in the keyboard then spoke again. "She's in room 304." She stated. "Just turn right over the corner." She pointed to the right. "And take the first elevator."

"Thank you!" I again began my journey towards the room. My heart raced as my mind continued to play with me.

The elevator ride seemed forever even if it's only three floors. "Relax sis." It placed a comforting hand on my shoulder and softly massaged it. "And the elevator won't operate faster even if you stomp your feet like that." She's got a point there. "Breathe." I followed my sister's advice so I closed my eyes and took a deep long breathe as I closed my eyes and battle all the negativity that my mind's giving me. When I opened my eyes, the elevator dinged and the door opened.

"301 to 310" I said out loud while following the directions to the rooms. "There!" We turned into a corner and made our ways to the doors. "301... 302... 303..." Finally! "304!"