Runaway Sweethearts

“Get to your room !” was the last thing I heard while slamming my door shut.

My family never appreciates anything I do!

I literally spent the whole day cleaning the house, then when they get home, they call it a pig sty!

God. Nothings perfect, but this is certainly not a pig sty!

So now I’m in my room after me and mum had a yelling competition on how it “IS!” “IS NOT!” clean.

I cautiously poked my head out the window and looked around for a second or two then started lifting myself out of it. There’s no way I’m staying here with all this tension.

Walking towards the alley way , I remembered about the grass that will be drowned in mud.

Jumping out of my precious converse, I smelt the bitter scent of dirt. The damp field was isolated, I couldn’t say the same for the duck-watching deck, or should I say, my peaceful get-a-way. ( yes this is almost a routine for me ).

For a minute my mind stopped but my body didn’t, as I thought “ should I go there or not” I was already stepping onto the wooden floor. 

A boy that was a metre in front of me, had his head in his palms.

Realising I was staring at him, my eyes quickly turned my body towards the water.

This was awkward.

Suddenly the awkwardness left and I was lost in the calm noises that gave me positive energy.

My body jolted as I heard a smooth voice,

”Beautiful right?”

Spinning around , I hesitated then answered calmly.

”Sure is” barely looking at him.

”Good to know a girl can take a complement” he said in a laughy tone.

I then looked up at him with a confused, disgusted stare.

”That’s the coolest pick up line ever” I said sarcastically, and turning around.

” Oh , wait, no , sorry” he said, jumping up from the wooden seat and connecting eye contact with me.

” I just thought I should break the awkward ice somehow..” he said strongly then fading out while looking at my converse that were sitting on the ledge.

All these things were running through my mind. What if he’s some rapist. Then I corrected myself that someone at my age, 15, would be a rapist. I mean c’mon, really? Then I found myself staring at him, and him staring back at me, obviously waiting for a reply.

”Oh uhm, yeah, sorry” I said with a slight smile. Ew.. why did I smile, my smiles horrible!

”Don’t be, it’s my fault “ he said, correcting me.

I smiled again and looked out at the pond,  he did the same. 

”But really, this place is beautiful” I reassured him.

He nodded with a “yeah” coming through his teeth.

”Brooklyn” I said putting my hand in front of his face for him to shake it.

”Oh haha, Coby” he said shaking it.

We talked for a while and then went and sat on the wooden bench.

”Any reason you’re here?” he asked curiously.

”Just the usual ‘runaway from home’ kinda thing, you know?” I smirked and asked the same.

”Well it kind of includes alot of my life, will you be willing to take that chance” he said in a laughy, daring tone.

I giggled for a moment then said “Why not”

Coby looked down once again. Did he not want to tell me?

”No pressure, you don’t have to if you don’t want to” I reassured him and pulled off a leaf from a branch above my head.

”It’s not that, Brooklyn , you just…don’t want to know me.” he said avoiding eye contact, he started getting up.  “It’s getting late, I better go, it was nice to meet you”  He said smiling and turning around to walk.

”Wait!, w-what do you mean…” I shouted while picking up my converse and heading straight after him.

I caught up to him.

”hey, hey, hold up mister,” I jumped in front of him, he stopped.

”Sorry Brooklyn, I really have to go, I can’t be too late home, I really can’t” he said with a strong ,meaningful voice.

He pushed passed me, I watched him as he walked towards the opposite direction than I go.

Will I ever see him again?

What’s with his dodgey mood swings?

Nearly home, I checked my phone.

- 2 missed calls from mum.

- 1 text from Amelia

- 1 text from mum.

Great.

I wouldn’t say , all hell broke loose when I got home, but it was sure damn close to it.

It was worse than I left.

All I wanted to do was run back to Coby.

What. Did I just say run back to Coby?

I mean to the ducks, oh the peaceful duckies.