Chapter 1: Country Girl

Chapter 1 : Country Girl

I sigh as I put my book down, and start my journey home. I take one last look at the peaceful little pond shaded by oak trees(My favorite place).

Tonight's the annual Honeysuckle Hoedown. Our whole town of Honeysuckle, Kansas attends. It is honestly the most dreadful night of the year. It might be different if I had someone to dance with, but no boy ever gave me a second glance. I was just " average" as most people say. Not exactly ugly, but not drop dead gorgeous either.

I had wavy dark brown hair that went down to my waist. I wasn't skinny, but I also wasn't on the plump side. The one thing I find beautiful about myself are my eyes, I have long eyelashes that frame my turquoise eyes.

I start walking down the old dirt rode that leads to my home.

After walking about a quarter of a mile I turn onto the old cobblestone path that leads to the medium sized blue house that I live in with my parents. I decide to sneak in through the back door to avoid my mother, who always gets excited for the annual event. Every year she asks me the same questions, "What are you going to wear?" "Are you going to dance with that young man you've had your eye on?" "I wish you were more like your sister Cameron, she's already married with a beautiful little boy, and here you are. You haven't even had your first boyfriend yet."

Luckily I am able to avoid the hounding of my mother. I make it upstairs, but I have no choice but to get ready.

I open my closet door, and rummage through my clothes. I decide on a cream colored lace dress that reaches just below my knees. I grab my favorite pair of tan boots and head to my small bathroom.

Before I get dressed I decide to curl my hair.

When i'm finished I put on a little bit of BB cream, a thin layer of eyeliner, and I lightly brush my long eyelashes with the mascara.

I quickly get dressed. I give myself a once over in the mirror and decide to read my book until it's time to go. I dont even make it to my room before my mother yells up the stairs, "Melody, if you dont get down here right now we are going to be late!"

I roll my eyes and sigh, " I am coming mother, don't throw a fit."

I hastily walk down the stairs, waiting for the critique of my mother.

"Oh honey! You look beautiful! Isn't she beautiful Alan?!"

My dad smiles at me, " Shes's gorgeous." Honestly I have always preferred my dad over my mother. He is way more laid back, and I feel like I can be myself when I'm with him.

My mother nods, " Okay sweetheart, go get in the truck-" I cut her off before she can finish, "Mother I am 21 years old. I will drive myself to to the party. I don't exactly want to be stuck talking to old lady Furrows at one in the morning." My mother just frowns at me and gives a nod of her head.

......

The hoedown started at 6 o'clock and its only 7:15.

Someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

For the next 30 minutes I mingle among different people from our town. Neighbors, people from church, the local grocer, and more. I make my way to a wooden post near the corner of the well lit barn. I brush my dress off.

But when I look up I notice a new set of eyes that I have never seen before.